Overdrive button use .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have an owners manual for my 05 Liberty & I would like to know if it's alright to push the overdrive button on & off while cruising down the road or if the jeep should be stopped when using the button .

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switch off at anytime

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Did you check the secret compartment for the manual? The slot by the glove box latch?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the OD switched off all the time in town , also on back roads out in the country and when pulling a trailer

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the slot, most people miss it lol. I used to keep the OD off unless we were on the highway. 42RLE does it's noble best to try to get to OD as quickly as it possibly can (friggin CAFE standards).

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read about the hidden manual & looked & it's not there . Does the position of the overdrive button have anything to do with anything except eliminating 4th gear . If I understand correctly in overdrive off the transmission will just shift to 3rd . Torque converter lockup & everything else is not affected .

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns off the OD and usually disables the TC lockup.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the TC still locks up in 3rd with the OD off button

here, ill give you a simple test you can play with (if you want)

turn od on approach a hill and gradually apply throttle until it kicks down to 3rd, given the behavior of the 42RLE, itll be 3rd Unlocked , note RPM's when it does this. and press the OD off button(to disable OD).. the rpm's will now drop, by pressing the od button fairly soon after triggering the downshift to 3rd unlocked, you've triggered a decision/check process that the transmission will eventually start to do anyway but its now operating under the new understanding that 4th gear unlocked/locked is no longer available via the TCM. Once the RPMs drop and stabilize you can begin to reapply throttle slowly and the rpms will hesitate to rise (grunt/lug/drone/etc) until you've exceeded the limits of the TC lockup parameters and it again unlocks the TC and the rpms raise. That's the TC lockup/unlock in 3rd. (2nd gear would be about 1,000 RPM higher give or take since the 42RLE's gear ratios are garbage and there should be an additional gear in there)

there's a TC lockup in 2nd as well if you accelerate gradually enough for it to utilize it and not skip to third. to actually prevent TC lockup you have to inturrupt the LR/LU solenoid while still making the TCM think it's still connected otherwise the transmission will go into limp mode. and the 42 generates an unhealthy amount of heat unlocked which is actually the purpose of the OD off button, the 42's OD is 0.69 which for reference the 45RFE has a 0.75 OD. In otherwords for other than gas meisers on flat roads sipping petrol on 70mph cruise control on eco tires, it's too tall for our application. which means it's going to want to excessively unlock the TC in 4th if you're within that X range of speeds where the 3.7s torque is about 50 FT/Lbs too few to grunt it up the 2deg. hill for half a mile because youve got 300lbs of tools in the back or tires 2" taller than stock, or your vehicle is shaped like a loaf of bread (TJ's lol) throw a 2000lb trailer behind it and slow down 5mph under the speedlimit for safety.. and youre at 60-65.. annnnnnd therein lies your time-bomb a TC that unlocks at the cadence of a fat man snoring after a big meal. *pop*. 3d gear 1:1 locked via od off results in higher rpms and lower temps than unlocking 4th excessively

but that's the difference between an OD Off button, and a Tow/Haul button, and there is a difference. the KJ's have an OD Off button

Last edited: