O/D button won't shut off O/D 05 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ME72

Reaction score
Hi, I have an 05 Liberty Sport w/ a 3.7 engine that won't get out of O/D mode when I use the switch. I tested the instrument cluster and it is present. I manually shifted from 1st speed to 2nd, to the "D" in the shifter and it did go to third then fourth gear, but when pushing the button to turn OD off, nothing happens; No downshift , no light. What are your experiences with this issue? What does it take to remedy it? I looked up a thread here that didn't resolve it.. Please advise. Thx.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is helpful, but could the switch itself be bad?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I'd say the switch itself may very well be bad. It is generally resolved by replacing the shifter.
The switch is a momentary contact device that signals the PCM to toggle current status, for the overdrive function.
However there are also pressure solenoids at transmission involved for the 42 RLE, if the switch is not the issue.
Fortunately mine still works, & there must be a fine wire leading into the momentary switch inside the handle.
I'd consider consulting with the dealer on this one, to see if the switch itself is serviceable.
Here are the O/D button Search listings from our site: https://www.google.com/search?q=jee...+working&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

ME72

Reaction score
Sounds good. I'll start there. Thanks for the info!

Sevenmilesout

Reaction score
Hello there,

I had the opposite issue, the switch would not select "overdrive off"

I cut the two wires from the selector handle & stripped the selector down. It is a very fine cable that feeds this switch. The easy way to solve it is to use a monetary switch attached to the two cut wires.

ME72

Reaction score
Hello there,

I had the opposite issue, the switch would not select "overdrive off"

I cut the two wires from the selector handle & stripped the selector down. It is a very fine cable that feeds this switch. The easy way to solve it is to use a monetary switch attached to the two cut wires.
That IS what my problem is. The overdrive doesn't shut off. How did you cut the wires from this handle and add a "monetary switch" thanks. Did you take the whole shifter apart?

Sevenmilesout

Reaction score
I'm sorry for this late response.

Take the various pieces of the top of the shift mechanism off, until you can see the wiring. It isn't that difficult, but be careful with the plastic as it can be very brittle. You will then be able to see the two wires extending from the shift handle.

Cut the two wires & attach a momentary switch to the cut wires. Give yourself enough slack to be able to mount the switch around that area or better still, extend the wires & fit it wherever you wish. Perhaps somewhere on the lower dash would be a good place.

Switches are plentiful on aliexpress so you have loads of choices for a good looking switch.

Latest posts

Members online