Over Heating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaywatch_3

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm new to the group and I need some help. I have an 05 Liberty Renegade that recently started to get really hot while sitting in traffic. I live in the bay area and traffic is extremely normal. It go to the point yesterday that it was almost to the Hot end of the gauge and I had to turn the heat all the way up to bring the temp down a bit, it didn't overheat, but it was closer than I would like it to be. Once traffic started moving again everything was fine, meaning the temp moved back down to the middle of the gauge where it normally is. I have checked the coolant level and it is fine. I'm thinking that its the thermostat, but I'd like a few more opinions before I start dropping money into something that doesn't need to be replaced. Anybody have anything else I should check or research first?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your electronic cooling fan may not be working. If your electric cooling fan is not working than when you are in traffic it will over heat and then when you are moving the temp will go back down maybe close to normal. If you are in heavy traffic all the time you should get a clutch fan that bolts on to the front of your water pump.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your electronic cooling fan may not be working. If your electric cooling fan is not working than when you are in traffic it will over heat and then when you are moving the temp will go back down maybe close to normal. If you are in heavy traffic all the time you should get a clutch fan that bolts on to the front of your water pump.

I agree. Most likely the electric fan. Make sure it comes on with A/C on AND when the A/C is off and your Jeep is just sitting with normal temp. If it does not, then something's up and you may need to replace it.

jaywatch_3

Reaction score
It already has a clutch fan, but your suggestions made me go relook at my setup and there it was! Apparently the electric fan was in front of the clutch fan and had pieces broken off it and was bound up against itself. You guy's are geniuses!!! I'll replace the fan and let you know how it goes!

Thanks again.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The radiator fan does not come on when the AC is turned on only. The temperature of the coolant or the battery temperature needs to be within the turn on range as well.

From the FSM:
"The relay is also energized when, air conditioning is selected and coolant temperature is
above 95° C ( 203° F), or , air conditioning is selected and battery temperature sensor is above 41° C (106°F)."

I wouldn't think that the jeep would overheat since you have a clutch fan already but maybe being stuck in traffic doesn't help much.

Last edited: