Ouch...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've got my 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade in for 60K mile schedule "B" maintenance at my local mechanic (not the dealer). I tow a 3500lb pop-up tent trailer about 10-15 times per year, and do some light off-highway driving, mostly in 4HI. (command-trac)

The menchanic informed me that he found metal "chunks" in the rear differential fluid, and so he opened the case to clean it out and said the "spider gear" teeth are obviously worn, and chipping. He recommends replacement, if I plan to continue towing with this vehicle. (Which I do...maybe.)

He contacted Mopar parts, and they say they do not sell the "spider-gear" set seperately, but only as a unit, due to the command-trac system requirements. $267.00 for parts - assuming the bearings and everything else are OK. Labor - $400.00.

The mechanic claims that he's seen this with other Dodge/Jeep vehicles.

I know very little about transmissions/differentials.

1st question: Do you think I'm being taken advantage of? I will definitely be asking to see the parts after the repair.

2nd question: Is this common? (Only 60K miles, towing within specs, no real abuse of vehicle...) I read up on the diff's in the Libby, and they are all aluminum, vs. steel used in other brands. Could that be a contributing factor?

Anyway, any advice on how to proceed here? Things to watch for, etc.

Any Help/Advice would be appreciated!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all I would like to see "the chunks"..... If they are "small shavings" it would be normal if you never changed the rear diff fluid. Did he show you the "chunks"??

I don't think this is common (chunks).

Get a second opinion.

Just my thoughts.

If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the OEM Limited Slip Differental called the Trac Lok?

If you do then the mechanic is correct that you have to replace the whole carrier,if you do not have the Trac Lok then the spider gear set is part# 04883067AB.I would also highly recommend replacing all the bearings if "chunks" of metal were really found in the rear diff.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the OEM Limited Slip Differental called the Trac Lok?

If you do then the mechanic is correct that you have to replace the whole carrier,if you do not have the Trac Lok then the spider gear set is part# 04883067AB.I would also highly recommend replacing all the bearings if "chunks" of metal were really found in the rear diff.

Thanks for your responses.

Yes, I do have the "Trac lok." (Per mechanic) I didn't see the open differential or the chunks yet, as I left my car there for the scheduled maintenance this AM, and went home. (This was an unexpected issue.)

The mechanic is AAA certified, and I've been using him for a while...I haven't been too disappointed in his past work. I can only trust any mechanic so far, though...just my experience.

In my younger days I turned a few wrenches with friends on various cars, but I no longer have the space/tools/time to do this stuff myself...so I have to trust someone else, to some extent.

He has to order the "Trac Lok," so I've got a little time to mull this over...any other input?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I will also say that this is NOT AT ALL COMMON. This is another one of those "First Time Posted On JeepKJ"

... and there's many common Jeep issues and this isn't one of them.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, its not common at all. Got 4 jeeps in the driveway, two with the 8.25 axle and they are fine.

We do change the oil in them a lot sooner than 60k though.

$400 isnt all that bad with labor.

Latest posts

Members online