ORI struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am considering going with a full ORI strut solution as opposed to coilovers/shocks/springs. I've read nothing but good things about them and I also have a friend who constantly sings the praises about how much the ORIs have improved his TJ's overall ride and stability. They also have the added bonus of eliminating the need for front/rear sway bars.

Any of you SFA folks out there happen to know the suspension travel measurements of your KJ? From full stuff to full extension?

Thanks!

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a lot of consideration I have decided to go with 12" ORIs in the front, and 8" ORIs in the rear. The reason for this is that the shock mounts are about 4+ inches below the top of the rear axle tube and I want the vehicle to sit level

How is this going to negatively affect handling or ride capability aside from a reduction in travel. I could've went with 10" for the rear, but I was worried about having the back jacked up to far and having to compensate by raising the front, which would end up making it ride stiff as hell.

On lostjeeps, bshooter is going with 14" ORIs front/rear and i think that those are going to place his CoG way too high. I'm just not sure if I am missing something.

What's your opinion on the lengths for my ORI choice? If something doesn't sound right let me know so I can rethink things and potentially change my order.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well with the length you will only get 12" in the front of total travel and 8" in the rear which is about what a stock KJ has from the factory.

I have over 12" of travel in the front and have to use limit straps due to using 1350 u-joints.The rear I have 12" of travel and it would not hurt to have the rear droop another 2" for a total of 14" but can't get anymore up-travel without cutting.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well with the length you will only get 12" in the front of total travel and 8" in the rear which is about what a stock KJ has from the factory.

I have over 12" of travel in the front and have to use limit straps due to using 1350 u-joints.The rear I have 12" of travel and it would not hurt to have the rear droop another 2" for a total of 14" but can't get anymore up-travel without cutting.

Hmm. I thought I had the ORIs licked but apparently not. What would your recommendation be for the rear? I don't know how I can possibly fit a 12" or larger strut in the rear without ripping the wheel well apart and p
Acing the mount point inside the cab (ala the BDS KJ).

Am I missing something?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I thought I had the ORIs licked but apparently not. What would your recommendation be for the rear? I don't know how I can possibly fit a 12" or larger strut in the rear without ripping the wheel well apart and p
Acing the mount point inside the cab (ala the BDS KJ).

Am I missing something?
Yep that is the problem when using those struts or coilovers in the rear.Why I strickly forbided the use of coilovers and/or those ORI struts on mine.Simple just works best.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I what I was afraid of. I'm going to cancel the rear set in the morning and go with springs and shocks. No sense in limiting performance just for the sake of having a matching set of ORIs.

Thanks man.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These pair of lovelies arrived yesterday...

12" ORI struts for the front D60.
honduras-albums-stuff-picture4401-12-ori-struts-front-d60.jpg

pc06er

Reaction score
ORI Struts work great… Been running mine since Feb this year and they make it so you don't need any sway bars or bumpstops… The ride is great and the let your Jeep flex…
You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Staff online