Ordering Replacement Keys for an 02?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bmxbika11

Reaction score
Hey all so this is embarrassing but my master set of keys for my 02 KJ was lost by my sister :mad::mad:. Now, I did a Google search for replacement keys and came up dry on viable leads. So as a last resort desperate shot for any help, I'm asking if any of you have any ideas on where I can pursue a replacement set. Regardless of price, I need them. All help is appreciated. Public service announcement:

DONT LEAVE YOUR KEYS OUT OF SIGHT!!!!!!!!!

-Bmx

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
So wait, you have NO keys to your KJ?

At all?

Trip to the dealer is in order. Be prepared to bend over cuz they're gonna give it to ya if you have Sentry Key.

Have current registration and insurance, if your dealer is being ****. You're gonna need it...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep time to go to the dealership with your VIN,title(or certified copy),and a photo ID.

If you had the thin black keys they will not be that bad,like $15-$20 each and your set.If you have the thicker gray keys be ready to pay,you will have to have the KJ towed to the dealer also since they will be the only ones that can program the sentry keys if you do not already have 2 programmed keys.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The dealer I went to let me slide with a simple proof of insurance, which was just recently renewed.
Said I needed a key just to get in since Chrysler wanted $80 to come unlock it.
Of course when you're wearing a backpack and come in with sweat dripping off your face, and a soaked shirt, I'd say that was likely believable.

Bmxbika11

Reaction score
I fortunately have my spare set of the thick gray ones, but my brother said I should get another set just in case something happens to this spare set. I figured a trip to the stealership would be in order. . . Hopefully they wont charge me an arm never mind an arm and a leg for another set...

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got locked out 1 time, my wife and i were just about to go onto base and had to get new stickers, so I got the bags out, and my wife got the paper work, unfortunately when she was getting the papers out of the glove box, she put the keys on the floor, then locked the doors from the door, oops
but the good thing is she had just gotten the registration and insurance out to get onto base, and I remember passing a dealership 1/2mile away, needless to say we quickly hoofed it over and walked in just as the parts guys were packing up for the day, they were going to leave but they asked, do you have your registration and id (probably thinking if they just got lock out they wouldn't), he had a look of surprise and disgust on his face when I said yes, got our keys and were on our way, only have the cheaper black keys

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fortunately have my spare set of the thick gray ones,

I may be wrong, but if you have 2 keys, can't you program a third from it? then you can buy a cheaper programmable key elsewhere and reprogram it your self and safe some cash

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but if you have 2 keys, can't you program a third from it? then you can buy a cheaper programmable key elsewhere and reprogram it your self and safe some cash

Yes as far as I know but he lost a key so he can't and has to go to the dealer.

Once he has 2 working keys he can program a third one himself. There should be instructions in the owners manual.

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a blank sentry key from ebay, then take it to the dealer with the Jeep and get it cut+programmed. Not a big deal.

What year is the Jeep?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
In the case where you have locked a set of keys in the Jeep, I carry a regular $4 flat cut key in my wallet. That will allow you to open the driver's door and get back in.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the case where you have locked a set of keys in the Jeep, I carry a regular $4 flat cut key in my wallet. That will allow you to open the driver's door and get back in.

Yeah, me too...haha

What happens is......I dropped the keys on the floor and locked myself out using the door lock (bad habit of mine) and used the blank key to open the door......the alarm goes off...haha. Then grab the keys off the floor and put them in the ignition and shut up the alarm.......haha

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya Dave, It only takes once of locking yourself out in the middle of nowhere, without a re-entry key, to make the readily available spare happen real quick.
Many who have experienced a lock-out, use the magnetic hide a key littel box, and place it on the vehicle too!idea.gif

Just remember when you do get the flat blank cut, to check it to make sure it does actually open the driver's door! (don't ask me how I know that)

Last edited:

Bmxbika11

Reaction score
Alright so I went to the stealership yesterday and I nearly fell over...To replace the key and the other piece that has the lock/unlock buttons, to cut the key, and to program it=$295!!!WTF?!? I said to the service rep are you serious he said that these keys are a "legacy" item and needed to be custom ordered. I just shook my head in disgust and left. So, the replacement will have to wait for now, but heads up for the rest of you guys, expect somewhere in the three hundred range to get a new set

NOW I KNOW WHY THEY ARE CALLED STEALERSHIPS!!!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
MMM,$300 to drive, or just look at Baby as I WALK to where I'm headed? Seriously,have you tried a "jimmie" or some other means of getting in? You're in NJ,surely there is a thug/gangster around that will open it for couple$

Bmxbika11

Reaction score
Ridenby, I have a spare set so I can still access my KJ and drive it, but god for bid something happens to this set and I'm dead in the water. And haha yeah we have some real characters down here, this economy I think anyone is willing to do something for some extra cash.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Alright so I went to the stealership yesterday and I nearly fell over...To replace the key and the other piece that has the lock/unlock buttons, to cut the key, and to program it=$295!!!WTF?!? I said to the service rep are you serious he said that these keys are a "legacy" item and needed to be custom ordered. I just shook my head in disgust and left. So, the replacement will have to wait for now, but heads up for the rest of you guys, expect somewhere in the three hundred range to get a new set

NOW I KNOW WHY THEY ARE CALLED STEALERSHIPS!!!

Sadly that sounds about right. After programming, etc.... it comes to that.

That's about what I paid.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It is always good to have a spare "set" of keys.
However nothing beats a good "set" of headlights.:D
After all, visibility is everything at night!
...and then you can see where the heck you dropped your.... ..ah...keys.

Last edited: