Options with OME Light-Duty coils.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys – so, here is my situation.

At roughly 5k miles on my 2007 KJ, I put on a Rusty’s ¾” spacer in the front, and 2 extra isolators in the rear. All in all, I think it was somewhere around 1.75” lift in the front, 1” rear.

My KJ now has 38k on it. I believe the springs have sagged some – I’ve put larger tires on though, so I can’t really compare apples to apples from the original heights that I recorded after the lift. Overall, I really don’t mind the ride – I know some feel that it’s mushy, but I kind of like it.

I received a nice bonus at work, and am considering using part of it for something fun – probably for the KJ. I’d like to get mopar seat covers, moab rims, or a lift. So, kicking around the idea of a lift...

Honestly, I don’t head offroad as much as I would like. In fact, the last time I really went was Feb 08. I do think that a lifted KJ looks great though ;-). It’s nice to know you have the proper equipment when you do head out too. Plus, I get a little nervous since I know I am stressing my springs quite a bit by compressing them more with the spacer lift – I don’t want a broken spring at 80 mph on the freeway. Do you think this is possible?

So, I am thinking OME light-duty coils. I don’t see myself getting a steel bumper, unless I end up in an accident and insurance subsidizes it. Any argument against the light duty coil in my application?

OME light duty seem to lift approximately 1.5”-2”. Can I/Should I still use the Rusty’s spacers with it? From reading past threads, I thought I remembered that the Frankenlift uses the same spacer as the Rusty’s/Daystar 3/4”. If I can do this, I’d assume I’d need to top plates so I am once again not compressing the springs so much. If so, what top plates would I need? Would this provide too much lift for the OEM control arms? Replacing them isn’t an option – that’s too far IMO, and I don’t want to spend the cash on it. If it’s getting to that point, I’ll just throw in the springs alone (with shocks) and call it a day.

Also, if I do springs, I’ll do shocks. I’m feeling a little torn between the OME and Rancho. Is there any cost/benefit you could recommend for me? Is it really worth it to go for one of these two options for my road warrior, or is this overkill?

Overall, I don’t want to stiffen it up much (if it all). It’s 99% on the pavement, so it’s got to remain comfortable for the street.

I'm all ears, so feel free to throw out any other options/advice.

Thanks guys!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd be interested in the light duty ones also....as I have 64k on my stock stuff...:)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, stupid question time - are these all (light, med, heavy) really the same length as the OEM springs, it's just that due to the higher springrate they don't compress as much as OEM?

If this is the case, then I am half tempted to get the light duties and throw on a Daystar 2.5" lift. I should maintain a similar ride quality and get the reliability/height that I want.

I am really thinking that I don't want to firm up the suspension. I put drop coils on my old car, which stiffened up the suspension and I wasn't overly pleased with them - loved the handling, didn't like the additional stiffness when cruising. The Liberty will never be a "handling" vehicle, so I can't justify the extra stiffness. I am happy with the level of stiffness currently. I thought it was a little stiff new, it's finally breaking in to where I like it.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So, stupid question time - are these all (light, med, heavy) really the same length as the OEM springs, it's just that due to the higher springrate they don't compress as much as OEM?

If this is the case, then I am half tempted to get the light duties and throw on a Daystar 2.5" lift. I should maintain a similar ride quality and get the reliability/height that I want.

I'd just go with the Med. springs....as the Daystar is $150, that's more funds to go with a better spring....:)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only issue I have with Medium Duty is that I don't want to stiffen it much, if at all. From reading, it seems that they do make a noticeable difference.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. :D

The OME's are a tad bit longer then the OEM ones, the trick is in the coil thickness. So they are tougher and keep the KJ up higher. Now that does not automatically mean they are stiffer, remember they are progressive.

Meaning the further they are compressed the tougher they get. You will accomplish just that by adding a daystar spacer lift to the OME coils....

I have the 927's (gasser H/D - Diesel M/D) on mine and love them.

J Thompson is the guy you should talk to really, he has a gas KJ with the M/D coils and IIRC that gave him 2" lift and a smooth ride....

Just some questions are smarter than others!:D

I'm J-Thompson will see this and give us a low down on them....:)

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
The only issue I have with Medium Duty is that I don't want to stiffen it much, if at all. From reading, it seems that they do make a noticeable difference.

I installed a frankenlift,when I saw saw springs spacers and all was pretty concerned that it would be stiff as a buckboard wagon.Turned out to ride the best,amazing the improvement over stock.Point is I think the HD gas springs will be fine,the medium ought to be like a Caddy.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the Med coils at all 4 corners for over 30K
we lost about 1/4" with in the first 5K and have held good from there
the ride is great ,not Cadi. great but better than my TJ on very soft Skyjacker coils
This is ALL we have to gain lift
no clevis lift no spacers NOTHING but coils
right now it is probably 2" over stock with stock size tires
we just took off 245/75 MTR's ,which were fine
and put on 255/70's ,better highway tire but about the same size

I like them and would for sure recommend them

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OME coils for the KJ are not in anyway a progressive rate coil,they have the same spring rate no matter how much you compress them and are known a linear coils.

Linear coils(like the OME KJ coils)...........
You must be registered for see images

Progressive rate coils............
You must be registered for see images

As you notice the linear coils(top pic) have uniform spacing between the spirals in the coil.The second pic you can see the different spacing in the coil which have different spring rates in the progressive rate coil.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Artus,
Looks like you're doing your home work. I too am looking at new springs with some added lift for the occassional backwoods romp.

I was leaning towards the OME 926 (Mediums) and with J-Thompson's remarks, I'm sold.

Remeber, the springs are only part of the equation. The new struts/shocks will also help determine the final ride, as well as the tire you choose.

I did a 3" lift on my Dodge truck a few years back. As it was 2-wheel drive, I had to shop around a bit. I purchased the FAB-TECH lift, which is new steering knuckles, with the spindle 3" lower. All the rest of the front suspenssion is still stock, except for new ball joints. All the geometry remains unchanged. The ride also improved, and the only thing I can attribute it to was the new shocks (Pro Comps - I believe).

Later, I changed the tire from a BIG-O A/T to a TOYO Open Country A/T (both 31-10.50-16) and the ride improved even more.

Spring rates are important - nothing worse than buying the HDs and fealing like your driving an empty cement truck - but the overall ride is a combination of factors. Even the sidewall height/flex of the tire and/or inflation preasure determines what is felt in the drives seat.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have OME 927's with Rancho RSX17505 struts up front. That along with clevis lift and RRO top plate get about 2.75"-3" of lift. Run 265/75r16 with no rubbing at all. And the ride is much much much better than oem coils and rusty's spacer lift. As for shocks/struts, I'm pretty sure rancho is a bit cheaper with similar specs. especially if your not wheeling frequently. OME long travel shocks aren't necessary.. just my $0.02