Opinions on best roof rails and trailer hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chowmom

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Jeep Liberty. I need opinions on the best roof rails to buy to accomodate possibly kayaks, bicylcles, nothing super heavy duty, but able to hold up well. Also is a drawtite hitch the best hitch to buy for hailing a future light load multi use trailer? again nothing too heavy. If you have any suggestions on either one I would appreciate.
Thanks

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll put my 2 cents in for Thule. Been using for 19 years on our Honda, 7 years on the Liberty. Solid, trouble free for kayaks, canoe, skis, miscellaneous.

Reaction score
talk to boiler. not only does he make quality and great looking products, he's from indiana. i bet he could make something for you kk people

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

rebjeep09

Reaction score
I just got Thule 450 clamps and 58" bars from Rack Attack. The look really nice, and are solid, minimal to no wind noise. Put my canoe on it so far, will add bike adn ski racks when I need them.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow has that KK been totally rhino-lined?:eek:

As for the hitch. I recommend either Reese, Draw-Tite or Hidden-Hitch. They are essentially the same company. All owned by Cequent Towing Products.

Jon153

Reaction score
I put Yakima crossbars on my '09 KK. I have been a big fan of Yakima for 20 years but had to buy a wind deflector due to the noise. I was able to get the dealership to send me a free set of crossbars because I noticed in the '09 glossy info packet my preferred equipment group had crossbars listed as being included. They came in as Thule aero bars. I gave them to my girlfriend for her '09 KK (and ordered yakima for me). The Thule bars were much quieter than Yakima- she didn't need a fairing at all. Also with the availability of mounts that fit attachments from both companies- you can put any attachment from any company on any rack. Makes it easier to add accessories.

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OLD post but I have OEM crossbars with OEM bike racks. I put a Yakima Basketcase in the middle of them. It was the only one I can find that was narrow enough to fit in between the two bike racks. It is pretty heavy duty too. I also have the ability to take the basket off and put the kayak carrier on. It only takes a minute to do it. Wife and I are big Mountain bikers, Kayakers, hikers, Four-Wheelers, outdoorsy types so I like the versatility. Haven't learned how to post pics yet but I will read up on it and do it shortly.

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics showong the bike rack... kayak carrier... and basket.

Attachments

• 2011-07-10 15.37.23.jpg
    2011-07-10 15.37.23.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 2012-07-08 14.57.09.jpg
    2012-07-08 14.57.09.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 2012-10-13 16.49.47.jpg
    2012-10-13 16.49.47.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 27

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have gone that route but I had the cross bars and bike racks from the factory and they are still working great.

kyled

Reaction score
I also suggest the Thule racks. They are great for outdoor equipment. They look nice on the car, they look as if they belong on top of the Jeep. Plus they are reasonably priced.