Opinions Needed - XM or Sirius?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bacchus

Reaction score
Sirius works fine

I've had my Sirius for three months and barely listen to the radio anymore. Most people don't change their channels that much anyway, so more stations isn't that big a deal to me. I just like the fact that I don't have to listen to the morning dingbats on my commute. Just look for the best deal.

Radio shack offers Sirius units for about 75% of the normal cost. Same product too. Good deal.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
XM is going to be $12.95/mo starting in May I think. It will include High Voltage (Opie & Anthony) and internet streaming. Current customers (maybe new ones too?) will have the option of buying multi-year packages (up to 5yrs) at the current $9.95 rate.

I know you've already done it, but you need to be careful when buying XM stuff (or sirius stuff) online, because if the radio id was ever reported stolen you'll not be able to activiate it.

-Blu

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
XM is going to be $12.95/mo starting in May I think. It will include High Voltage (Opie & Anthony) and internet streaming. Current customers (maybe new ones too?) will have the option of buying multi-year packages (up to 5yrs) at the current $9.95 rate.

I know you've already done it, but you need to be careful when buying XM stuff (or sirius stuff) online, because if the radio id was ever reported stolen you'll not be able to activiate it.

-Blu

Really 12.95?? what about existing customers?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Existing customers will have the option to renew before the end of april for 1-year to 5-year terms at the $9.95 rate, but you have to prepay for it. I'm prolly gonna bite for 2 years, maybe 3. For me it's going to be a little better than a wash, since I'm paying extra for O&A now. So, I'll be getting O&A for the <$10 rate, plus I'll be able to stream at work.

XM rocks.

-Blu

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know if I will keep it, I might spring for a digital cable box for my room instead. I like it, but I really can't justify paying more for it.

I guess I will decide when the time comes.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Just got a thing in the mail from XM letting me know about the price change.

After listening to Opie and Anthony on internet radio and XM will provide free internet radio as an extra, I think I am going to keep it.

Bennett

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
The internet radio version of XM is sweet! I am hooked on it now! Its nice since I never has xm inside the house or in the lab at school. It would be nice to be able to stream it to my pda! I am figuring that out later today.

Bennett

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just activated my SkyFi2. Love it! I'm really grooving on this whole TuneSelect feature, it notifies you when your favortie artists/songs are on. Great idea! =D>

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
XM Rate Plan Details

Since the launch of XM — and particularly during 2004 and 2005 — XM has made dramatic improvements to its channel lineup. To provide you with the best listening experience, XM converted all music channels to 100% commercial-free while adding 50 new channels.

XM recently announced an agreement with Major League Baseball to provide play-by-play coverage for every team, all season long, beginning this spring. In addition, we've added nine sports channels dedicated to ACC, PAC-10, and Big Ten college football and basketball, traffic and weather channels covering the top 21 markets, XM Public Radio featuring legendary journalist Bob Edwards and all-new music channels including Starbuck's Hear Music channel. We've also created exclusive music series like Artist Confidential and Then...Again...Live.

Beginning April 2, 2005, we will expand the basic service package to include two premium services at no additional charge — the High Voltage channel (previously $1.99/month) and XM Radio Online (previously $3.99/month). The monthly subscription price for our new expanded basic service will increase to $12.95 beginning April 2, 2005. The price change will not affect XM's Family Plan, which allows you to add up to four additional subscriptions for $6.99/month per radio.

Until April 2, 2005, we are offering our existing subscribers an opportunity to lock in today's lower monthly rate by selecting a one-year or multi-year pre-paid subscription plan, which provides significant long-term savings.

You must be registered for see images

Click for more details

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you all know about this site, but www.xm411.com has an interactive channel listing thingy that tells you what's on all the channels all the time. Pretty handy if you listen to it at your desk, like me. =)