Old noobie buys a KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Last bit of prep work and needed to make the double din fit was the Metra dash cover. It's different than the one I took out. Mine had the ash tray/cigarette lighter and a second power port that was used to power my windshield mount Garmin. Since I no longer needed that port or the cigarette lighter, I put a dual USB port in it's place. You also need an antenna adapter cable. Crutchfield sell the entire kit of dash panel, wiring adapter and antenna cable for a very reasonable sum if you order your radio from them. I took advantage of their generosity. ;)

You must be registered for see images attach

Next post will be about the installation of all the goodies. Headed out in a few to do it up.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Puzzled out how to install the GPS antenna. Drilled a hole thru the defroster vent on the dash, but it doesn't go thru the vent piping. Unpinned the plug cover from the wiring to slide it thru. It takes a special tool to unpin, so you'll have to figure out how you'd like to do your's. Since I'm a retired tech, I have it in my main box. Coiled up the huge excess of wire and zip tied it out of the way. Radio's in. The other hole in the vent is for my XM radio wiring, but it's being a pain to fit thru.

Door panels come off with two screws and some tugging.

Disconnect the door latch connection by sliding the plastic connector towards the door panel and unplug the two connectors behind the front door panel.

Rear door pictured, but nearly identical to the front. Swap out speaker and reverse procedure to close it up. Repeat three more times. I'm on door 2.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Took a couple minutes to throw the Metra cover over the stereo hole. GPS works! Music plays. I call it a success.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Hmmm, removal stuff from the camper Transit Connect...

Basket is set up with Smittybilt mount for shovel and full size ax.

(photo fixed)

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That sits the basket up really high doesn't it ?

Did you do your pinstriping ?

sleazy rider

Reaction score
It seems like it is well out of reach without a nearby rock ledge.

The pinstripes were on it when it came to me. Don’t know if I like it or not, but they’re simple to remove if it comes to that. Easy Off oven cleaner and a q-tip will take it all off.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems like it is well out of reach without a nearby rock ledge.

The pinstripes were on it when it came to me. Don’t know if I like it or not, but they’re simple to remove if it comes to that. Easy Off oven cleaner and a q-tip will take it all off.
Are they painted on ?
Someone did a decent job if they are
I used to pinstripe vans back in the 70s , not steady enough anymore I don't think to lay a nice line

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Yup, a real brush and paint stripe job. It’s not anywhere near as bad as many of the motorcycles that I’ve seen. I’ve de-striped a few of mine in my decades of riding.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Rummaging around in the old parts locker for my spare/removed LED floods, I re-found my Cobra CB! No antennas or anything else for it. A quick drive by on Amazon netted me a thru fender mount like the car stereo on the other fender, a nice Firestik 4’ antenna and a mount spring to keep it from disappearing on its first encounter with a solid object. The cable will get got when length is determined. Still need an SWR meter to tune it up.

Saving money by recycling! Riiight.

The only off-road lights I found were some cheap 6 LED floods that will go in the rear for backing up at night and a set of Optilux 4” round HIDs that should been tossed on removal.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The cheapos will work ok for backup lights , as a matter of fact I have two Nilights , ( come to think of it) that I am using for backup lights on the 03. Mounted in the bumper since I designed it to accommodate two cubes. One on each side angled out
I still run my old Cobra every now and again, its been peaked, tuned, little things added over the years
It was in my Peterbilt for a few years, then the 04 and now the 03
still have a 200 watt linear , that will stand up and talk a " few " miles ;)

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Few? Clear over to the next couple counties for bear reports. :p I honestly don't remember the last time I used it.

Only reason for the CB is a few friends have serious purpose built jeeps and use them to share on the trails.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ohio to California before ;)
I had it set up with a house antennae that I could fold up and move
Close to where I lived big hill with a lot of dead folks around so no one cared
set it up, sit in my pickup and talk skip all night
But yes main use was when we were on trail rides, road trips and in the semi

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Paid a visit to AutoZone for a replacement SUV floor jack. While I was there, tossed a new two pack of tall jack stands on the counter too. Amazon had more rubber pinch weld adapters in stock for delivery tomorrow. Jeep is now well in the air in prep for disassembly of the front suspension. All bolts have been PB’d a few times. Tires are off. Send me parts!

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Well, since Uncle Sugar was so nice to provide a $600 bonus stimulus check, I went ahead and ordered a Cobra 75 WXST all in the mike unit direct from Cobra. Hilariously, they were the cheapest going rate for the radio with free shipping. Less clutter in the cabin and no fumbling around with changing channels/volume control and easier to turn on/off. Because it shipped from Chicago area to Detroit, it's an overnight delivery and should be on the porch today.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Still waiting on suspension parts. All delivery services are running real slow with the Christmas shopping rush. Maybe Monday it looks like.

Pulled the front grille off and removed the plastic insert for cleaning and black paint. Black out looks sooo much better. Paint's drying now, will be reassembled this afternoon. Stainless brush guard goes on Saturday, then find a good light bar next month.

Might get the CB stuff started today too. I want to make sure everything is done once, so will be looking for a real good spot for the radio remote unit and microphone mount. Changed up on the antenna mount and will be putting it in the rear above the right rear light as seen on this forum by another member.

When I pulled the front wheels off, I took a gander at the brake condition. No one had replaced the rotors when they put the newer pads on. Rotors are wearing a nice ridge into the pad material due to the lips on the rotor. New front rotors and pads ordered. Will have the rear drums turned and new rear shoes are in the rotor/pad order. I really don't want to touch the general maintenance stuff for at least six months after this is all back together.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Winnah, winnah, chicken dinner.

Jeep face is done and installed, grille guard put up a good fight, but I'm older and meaner.

(the jack is just stored there, jackstands underneath)

And the shlizznit is falling from the sky now. Gonna be an ugly commute for those working in the area. *THIS* is why i wanted a 4x4. This driveway is impossible unless shoveled & salted.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, since Uncle Sugar was so nice to provide a $600 bonus stimulus check, I went ahead and ordered a Cobra 75 WXST all in the mike unit direct from Cobra. Hilariously, they were the cheapest going rate for the radio with free shipping. Less clutter in the cabin and no fumbling around with changing channels/volume control and easier to turn on/off. Because it shipped from Chicago area to Detroit, it's an overnight delivery and should be on the porch today.

That’s the same CB unit I have in my KK. Works well.

This is a good reference for setting up your CB.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=81490

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Yup, I used YOUR guide to antenna location. :) Was gonna punch a hole in the front left fender, but digging into it, I couldn’t find a way to the backside of the skin. My mount went a little higher over the right light because I couldn’t get all four screws fitted down low.

I used a 5’ Firestik antenna.

Latest posts

Members online