OK, Now what

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnmw1017

Reaction score
Hi, Kinda have a few questions about my 2002 Liberty Limited ( 3.7 auto trans 4X4 ) I recently acquired from Copart. The motor is seized big time. Stripped the motor of heads, exhaust manifolds and most everything that looked like it would fight me removing the motor. We removed the crank pulley bolt with a long breaker bar, this thing is locked !. Motor didn't even try to rotate with no heads while breaking the pulley bolt loose.

The question ………. any recommended procedure to remove the converter to flexplate bolts ? Can’t turn the crank to get power tools in there, and from what I have seen on this forum and another Jeep forum, this isn't gonna be easy.

Have a salvage yard engine with 90 day warranty to go in it’s place, just this is a new one on me.

Also looking at the replacement engine, someone was liberal with the blue thread locker on the trans end of the crank. Is there gonna be lots of the blue thread locker on the T.C. bolts?

Thanks

John

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never faced a seized engine.

Was thinking -

Release the engine mounts so you can lift the engine a bit to drop the pan.

If it is seized that tight, might be a rod snapped and wedged.

From there, if you can see it, could maybe drop a rod cap or 6 and wiggle the offender out of the way, enabling you to turn the crank.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, Kinda have a few questions about my 2002 Liberty Limited ( 3.7 auto trans 4X4 ) I recently acquired from Copart. The motor is seized big time. Stripped the motor of heads, exhaust manifolds and most everything that looked like it would fight me removing the motor. We removed the crank pulley bolt with a long breaker bar, this thing is locked !. Motor didn't even try to rotate with no heads while breaking the pulley bolt loose.

The question ………. any recommended procedure to remove the converter to flexplate bolts ? Can’t turn the crank to get power tools in there, and from what I have seen on this forum and another Jeep forum, this isn't gonna be easy.

Have a salvage yard engine with 90 day warranty to go in it’s place, just this is a new one on me.

Also looking at the replacement engine, someone was liberal with the blue thread locker on the trans end of the crank. Is there gonna be lots of the blue thread locker on the T.C. bolts?

Thanks

John
Btw - make sure the engine has the right reluctor on the crank. I think 04 or 05 was the transition year, and the crank and computers aredifferent. Several treads here about engine swap compatibility.

Johnmw1017

Reaction score
Yes, the replacement engine has the proper number of teeth on the tone/Transluctor ring. Been kinda slow doing anything with the Liberty. I have to work outdoors and when it drops to around 20 degrees with a cross wind, The inspiration is kinda lacking. I added a pic of my work area, it ***** but what the heck . But it is coming along .....

Attachments

• IMG_2022-01-08-15-46-13-497.jpg
    IMG_2022-01-08-15-46-13-497.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 9

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun project!

You mentioned copart. Never did any buys thru them. Are you satisfied with the transaction?

Johnmw1017

Reaction score
Sounds like a fun project!

You mentioned copart. Never did any buys thru them. Are you satisfied with the transaction?
Yes, I have made several buys thru the folks at CoPart.. A name like copart and they don't sell parts. This Jeep had a " buy it now " of $ 450. I had to. It had come from a local used car lot, it was spotless inside and out. Doesnt have a SKIM module on the steering column. Just an unidentified antenna stuck to the windshield. I'll worry about that later. The cooling system had dumped into the oil pan and was seemingly run that way. I'm gonna leave the converter attached to the flywheel, then pull the motor. That'll let me get to the crank without spending too much time on my back on the frozen ground. Yup, I is a *****.

KJ_Liverpool

Reaction score
I've never faced a seized engine.

Was thinking -

Release the engine mounts so you can lift the engine a bit to drop the pan.

If it is seized that tight, might be a rod snapped and wedged.

From there, if you can see it, could maybe drop a rod cap or 6 and wiggle the offender out of the way, enabling you to turn the crank.
Great Idea !

Johnmw1017

Reaction score
Pulled the motor and took things apart. Here is a pic of what came out of cylinders # 1 and 2. This must of sounded great when it happened . Sorry I'm not much of a photographer.

Attachments

• IMG_2022-01-16-11-50-35-323.jpg
    IMG_2022-01-16-11-50-35-323.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 21

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I assume this has something to do with that word " maintenance " ?. Or not, i'm in my 60s and never lost a motor this way .
Likely!

I told my 2 oldest boys recently that they better have good jobs when they graduate college.

Those guys are going to be a mechanic's dream!

Oldest - but i just bought that car a month ago. Why check the oil so soon?

#2 - how come you keep after me to check the oil? It is not like it gets used up or anything!

And they wonder why I spend an hour with their cars when they show up at home!

Bill F

Reaction score
Kid my daughter was dating once pulled up in the drive and I could smell the oil from inside the house. Smoke was pouring out from under the hood. I asked him when was the last time he checked the oil and he said..."your supposed to check it? for what". So I asked him when was the last time he had the oil changed? He said he didn't know it had to be. So then I asked him how many miles had he put on it. 28,000..... 4 year old Volvo 640 and he's had it 3 years. It blew up on his way home...

Latest posts

Members online