Ok Got a code now got Question`s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok recently i changed out my engine temp sensor .. Since it kept throwing codes ... And now i am getting p0158 Which is a o2 Sensor code , However there are 2 sensors on the 3.7 So do i just change out 1 at a time or just do both ? Or is there a way to tell which one is bad ?

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have access to a Bi Directional Scan tool, one that reads Datastream will do, you can find the 'offending' O2 sensor, otherwise its the change both out routine. Just remember the code also refers to the circuit as well. Good luck

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have 2 cats and 4 sensors total. 1 before each cat and 1 after each cat.

Code P0158 = bank 2 sensor 2. (bank 2 is the passenger side and sensor 2 is the one after the cat)

Check the wireing to it first.

Dave

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have 2 cats and 4 sensors total. 1 before each cat and 1 after each cat.

Code P0158 = bank 2 sensor 2. (bank 2 is the passenger side and sensor 2 is the one after the cat)

Check the wireing to it first.

Dave

OK Dave will check the wiring here in a bit when it cools off some outside just as a precaution , Then if it looks good ill get that sensor replaced Friday ... Hoping its not in the wiring cause that will suck !! But it just started throwing that code after i changed out the temp sensor .

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said you changed out the temp sensor???

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What code was thrown that led you to change the temp sensor?

I don`t remember it was a thermostat malfunction code , So i took her in had her flushed and that didn`t help the jeep dealer told me to change that sensor so i did it was 20$ and was easy . So i did that and now a week later the engine light came back on and now that code is coming up , Also changed the plugs recently and it threw a few odd codes due to my hubby using too much of that anti seize he cleaned the # 5 which was the code that said there was a miss fire on 5 and then all the codes went away ... Then that Thermostat malfunction code , changed out the sensor and now the p0158 is coming up ...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don`t remember it was a thermostat malfunction code , So i took her in had her flushed and that didn`t help the jeep dealer told me to change that sensor so i did it was 20$ and was easy . So i did that and now a week later the engine light came back on and now that code is coming up , Also changed the plugs recently and it threw a few odd codes due to my hubby using too much of that anti seize he cleaned the # 5 which was the code that said there was a miss fire on 5 and then all the codes went away ... Then that Thermostat malfunction code , changed out the sensor and now the p0158 is coming up ...
That t-stat code means you needed to change the t-stat,not the temp sensor.That same code may be still there just not enough drive cycles to show up as a active code.A bad t-stat,in your case stuck open or not fully closing, can and will cause O2 sensor codes since engine temps has a direct effect on the fuel/air ratio is set.

Though not saying you could not just have a bad O2 sensor also and had bad luck with timing.

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That t-stat code means you needed to change the t-stat,not the temp sensor.That same code may be still there just not enough drive cycles to show up as a active code.A bad t-stat,in your case stuck open or not fully closing, can and will cause O2 sensor codes since engine temps has a direct effect on the fuel/air ratio is set.

Though not saying you could not just have a bad O2 sensor also and had bad luck with timing.

I was hoping you wouldn`t say that lol ... Well i figured id change out the easy stuff first lol ... So on a scale 1-10 what would you rate replacing the thermostat ?

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 1 for average skill level.

Guessing in this engine its in the bottom hose down by the water pump ? I and car repair smart but idk jack about these newer engines or v6`s for that matter ? lol I know 2.2L aND 2.5 , 225 SLANT 6 thats about it