Oil pump replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69moparfan

Reaction score
I just picked up an '02 with a blown head gasket, and the dreaded valve seat drop (1 on each bank #2 & #5 ).
While I am in the front I figured I would replace the tensioners, chain slides, and the oil pump.
The pump appears to be readily serviceable, but the FSM states that the pan has to be removed to do so. Looks like 1 bolt to drop the pickup, but does the pan interfere with removal somehow?

69moparfan

Reaction score
Really? With all the timing cover removals on these 3.7's, no one has attempted to service the oil pump....

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil pump is a real pain to get to and it requires removal of the oil pan and the gasket - which also serves as the windage tray - as well as the entire front of the engine. In my opinion the oil pump isn't really "serviceable."

The engine must be lifted 2 to 3 inches in order to get the pan out and then the pickup bolts are removed allowing the gasket/tray to be removed. And to remove the oil pump the timing chains must be removed as well so the pump can slide off the end of the crank so the timing cover must come off too. So that will kind of "help you" in the replacement of the chain guides and tensioners. To get the timing cover off you will need to remove the AC compressor, oil filler tube, alternator, power steering pump and a plastic plug behind the PS pump and a threaded plug on the right cylinder head to get to the tensioner guide bolts. With the engine in the Jeep that will be 'fun.'

Here's a pic of the pump and the gasket/tray. The pickup is bolted in with two bolts on one of the main bearings and is press fit into the pump. A single bolt holds in the pump itself - on the far right in this picture.

You must be registered for see images

Here's a pic of the chains. The oil pump is behind the primary chain guide on the crankshaft:

You must be registered for see images

Hope this helps.

Bob

69moparfan

Reaction score
I certainly appreciate your reply. I have decided not to pull the primary chain after all since everything looks O.K. The heads are at my local machine shop now, I dropped them off with a set of new Mopar valve springs.
They said I should be looking at apprx. $350.00 for clean-up, pressure test, valve job, install 2 oversized seats, resurface and reassemble. Pretty reasonable for the pair. I suspect they are going to be adding at least 2 valves as well though.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I certainly appreciate your reply. I have decided not to pull the primary chain after all since everything looks O.K. The heads are at my local machine shop now, I dropped them off with a set of new Mopar valve springs.
They said I should be looking at apprx. $350.00 for clean-up, pressure test, valve job, install 2 oversized seats, resurface and reassemble. Pretty reasonable for the pair. I suspect they are going to be adding at least 2 valves as well though.

That's a great price! Let us know how it turns out :driver:

Bob