Oil pressure.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02silverKJ said:
so the 5w20 is ok? thats the general consensus....... im gonna do an oil change tomorrow..... so what should i buy?

I would go with whatever weight your manual suggests. For all but the newest KJ's, that is 5W-30. The MFG suggested weight isn't as important though as is the service specification. YOu Can run any weight you want as long as it meets the service spec. I will be switiching to Amsoil 0W-30 in one of my KJ's this fall when I change the oil again. My next oil change after that will be one year later in fall of 08.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 psi? Are you kidding me? I woudl consider that a problem in any engine.

OP: Have you checked the oil level to make sure you aren't just low? Although i would excpect low oil level to cause oil pressure problems at high RPM and not idle...but just to be sure. My bet is your oil filter is crap.

02silverKJ

Reaction score
ok, i bought oil, a filter, and a new sensor, only 35 bucks and has a lifetime warranty....... so i will find out what is causing this.

also, is there a way to get rid of the oil pressure switch, and get a sensor and an aftermarket gauge? so i can see the pressure go up and down?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02silverKJ said:
ok, i bought oil, a filter, and a new sensor, only 35 bucks and has a lifetime warranty....... so i will find out what is causing this.

also, is there a way to get rid of the oil pressure switch, and get a sensor and an aftermarket gauge? so i can see the pressure go up and down?
You will need to get a "T" fitting if you want to run a aftermarket oil pressure gauge.If you remove the factory oil pressure sensor the engine won't run,the PCM needs that oil pressure sensor input to keep the engine running(among other things the PCM uses the oil pressure sensor for),gotta love technoligy!

02silverKJ

Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
02silverKJ said:

You will to get a "T" fitting if you want to run a aftermarket oil pressure gauge.If you remove the factory oil pressure sensor the engine won't run,the PCM needs that oil pressure sensor input to keep the engine running(among other things the PCM uses the oil pressure sensor for),gotta love technoligy!

well that *****.. where would you put the "T". since the sensor screws directly into the block there would be no where for it....

the guy at the auto parts store said i would have to drill and tap a hole for a new sensor......... seems like a lot of work to me......

gotta be a better way to add a gauge.....

so i got the oil changed and sensor replaced.... running good and no problems yet... we will see if the light comes back on. i did notice the old sensor was leaking enough to get the wires covered in oil......

i went with castrol 10w30. and i got a bosche filter cause i didnt want to put the chaep fram one in it.......

02silverKJ

Reaction score
yea somehow it was coming through the sensor and onto the harness. i know it wasnt leaking around the threads,,, i checked.

Latest posts

Members online