Oil Light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, when I pulled into my parking spot at school, I noticed that my oil can indicator light had just come on. When I turned it off and back on, the light was gone. I let it run for a little bit to make sure it wouldnt come on and it never did. When I got home, I checked the oil and its perfect. Any ideas?

2003KJ

Reaction score
Check for damage on the oil pressure sensor...should be right around the filter if I remember correctly.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, usually if the light comes on, its just a bad sensor. Dont take it to likely though, the light does have a purpose. O:) Sometimes.. \:D/

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped it off at the dealer on the way home today. He said although theres a possibility of it being an oil pump, more than likely it's an oil send sensor (I think he called it). The light came on everytime I stopped and would turn off once I got going.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
Dropped it off at the dealer on the way home today. He said although theres a possibility of it being an oil pump, more than likely it's an oil send sensor (I think he called it). The light came on everytime I stopped and would turn off once I got going.

Oil pressure sending unit is the name of the part - it's simply the sensor that measures oil pressure. The odds of having an oil pump go out are astronomically low. On these vehicles the sending unit is a simple swap (unlike my vette which requires intake manifold removal #-o ). I'd swap the part myself.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It got done already. It says on the dealer invoice that it was registering 0 PSI oil pressure at idle and with the new part its 77 PSI!

2003KJ

Reaction score
desertkj said:
It got done already. It says on the dealer invoice that it was registering 0 PSI oil pressure at idle and with the new part its 77 PSI!

ummmm 77PSI at idle is WAY too high....

You shouldn't even hit 77 driving down the road....

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
desertkj said:

Maybe the tech meant 7.7 and forgot the decimal...

That seems kinda low though. hmm. let me check...

the 02 manual for a 3.7 says 4psi minimum at idle, and 25-80psi @ 3000rpm

2003KJ

Reaction score
Cableguy said:
2003KJ said:
desertkj said:

Maybe the tech meant 7.7 and forgot the decimal...

That seems kinda low though. hmm. let me check...

the 02 manual for a 3.7 says 4psi minimum at idle, and 25-80psi @ 3000rpm

wow...maybe it's just me put 4 seems REALLY low and 80 seems REALLY high...

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this doesn't apply 100% to stock engines. But for a built V-8 engine the rule of thumb is at least 10psi per 1,000 RPMs. On cold startup though i wuld expect somewhere around 40-50psi @ idle. That should quickly drop to around 20-30psi when warmed up at idle. Probably around 30-50 when cruising.

Depending on what oil etc. you are using i suppose it could be possible that withint he first 30 seconds of startup whent he engine idles relatively high (around 1,200 rpms) 77 psi would be possible.

7 PSI at idle on oen of our 3.7s would be considered unacceptable to me and would indicate a problem with the engine.

2003KJ

Reaction score
indieaz said:
Well, this doesn't apply 100% to stock engines. But for a built V-8 engine the rule of thumb is at least 10psi per 1,000 RPMs. On cold startup though i wuld expect somewhere around 40-50psi @ idle. That should quickly drop to around 20-30psi when warmed up at idle. Probably around 30-50 when cruising.

Depending on what oil etc. you are using i suppose it could be possible that withint he first 30 seconds of startup whent he engine idles relatively high (around 1,200 rpms) 77 psi would be possible.

7 PSI at idle on oen of our 3.7s would be considered unacceptable to me and would indicate a problem with the engine.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking....

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking....
Apparently, DC Engineers think differently. \:D/

You must be registered for see images

indieaz said:
You may think it's a problem, but the people who designed the motor don't. I'll agree that initial pressure will be higher than 4, but once it warms up (like the book says to do) it really dosen't take much to push some oil around at idle.

IMHO anyways, not trying to argue.