Oil light On, Oil light Off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JK2KJ

Reaction score
I recently purchased an 04 renegade. First thing I did was take it for an oil change cause the oil light was on and who knows when that last oil change was. So I get my jeep back oil light still on I reset the km for oil change turn off the jeep turn it back on and its gone. Basically the oil light will stay on after I start the Jeep about 50% of the time but everything seems alright. Are there any sensor problem or anything else it could be.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil light on, Oil light off, Oil light on, Oil light off.

We call that "blinking".

Sorry, couldn't resist.

JK2KJ

Reaction score
No its not blinking Like I said It will stay on about 50% of the times that I start it up and other times its fine I can turn it off and start it back up right away and then it will be back.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No its not blinking Like I said It will stay on about 50% of the times that I start it up and other times its fine I can turn it off and start it back up right away and then it will be back.

I know JK, I was just razzin' ya. That actually comes from a Venture Brothers show where Dr. Venture is asking his kids what the status of the 'problem' light is. One yells "It's on" the other yells "It's off!" then the first yells "Now it's on!" the second yells "Now it's off!"

Dr. Venture yells back "That called 'blinking' boys!"

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Its a good possibility that its the oil pressure sensor. Its located right above the oil filter.

Yep - what he said.

Only, when the sensor on mine went bad, the CEL would only go on when I was at low or idle rpms... around 700 or so.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've recently been seeing the same thing - oil changes are up to date and level looks fine, but sometimes when I start the Jeep cold, the oil light comes on and stays on.

I can start it for a minute, shut it off and the light will be off.

Seems to do it more often when it's colder outside.

Has me a little worried, I hope it's just a sensor (no warranty here).

Dave

JK2KJ

Reaction score
Hmm It does happen when its a bit colder outside and I tryed running it for awhile turning off and re-starting it and it also disappered. Ill be heading to the dealership next week and see what they say.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm It does happen when its a bit colder outside and I tryed running it for awhile turning off and re-starting it and it also disappered. Ill be heading to the dealership next week and see what they say.

Cool, let me know how that turns out!

Dave

sxmd

Reaction score
I recently started having the same problem. If anyone gets a fix, post it so we can see the results. I suspect it is the sender, but I would like to know for sure, so when I buy the transfer case position sensor, I can buy the oil pressure sender at the same time.

JK2KJ

Reaction score
I have an answer passed by the dealership last week told him the problem. Right off the bat they said it wouldn't be covered under the extended waranty so they would need to charge 30 min for inspection. They Checked it out and told me it was an Oil Pressure switch and would be 30 min of labour and $30 for the part. They went ahead with the job.

Details
FP number 05149097-AA

Description
Switch 08-058-060

Unit Price $24.75 CDN

Labour
30 Min Inspection
30 Min Job

$109.95

Walked out with a $152.22 CDN Bill Taxes Included

Not horrible but im sure some one with a mechanics background can figure it out for them selves and save they stealership costs.

Good Luck

sxmd

Reaction score
Yellocoyote,
What tool did you use to get the switch out? The 1 1/16 12 point socket seems to big to fit and I can't get a 1 1/16 wrench in. I suspect I will need a 6 point socket to get it out. Am I right?
Thanks for your help. A friend works for a dealer and I got the switch for $10.00.
Sxmd

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replaced 3 oil sensors on various chrysler vehicles, the last time it was an updated sensor.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yellocoyote,
What tool did you use to get the switch out? The 1 1/16 12 point socket seems to big to fit and I can't get a 1 1/16 wrench in. I suspect I will need a 6 point socket to get it out. Am I right?
Thanks for your help. A friend works for a dealer and I got the switch for $10.00.
Sxmd

they make sockets for oil sensors or 02 sensors, allows for the harness to get through. I just break the harness off and use whatever gives me some grip since the sensor coming off is bad anyway.

here you go: http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kd41720.html

gives you an idea

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Yellocoyote,
Sxmd

I believe it was a deep 30mm socket. I'd have to check again though. The sensor connector is behind the hex head. They designed the hex head that large so the socket would fit over it.

Latest posts

Members online