Oil light / idiot light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lately, my oil light has been coming on at random times. It was a little bit low, but I topped it off and it has still come on a couple times since then.

I put Royal Purple in it last change and had planned on going about 7,500 miles before changing it again. Is the KJ "smart" enough to be telling me to change the oil since I just passed 5,000 miles since the change? Seems it started shortly after I passed that "magical" number.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lately, my oil light has been coming on at random times. It was a little bit low, but I topped it off and it has still come on a couple times since then.

I put Royal Purple in it last change and had planned on going about 7,500 miles before changing it again. Is the KJ "smart" enough to be telling me to change the oil since I just passed 5,000 miles since the change? Seems it started shortly after I passed that "magical" number.

I also used RP. (used) Then there was this thread on it. http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37575&highlight=Royal+Purple Never had the oil light problem though. I switched to Mobil 1 High mileage Full synthetic with Mobil 1 filter. My libby has 74,000 on it. Thats the reason for high mileage oil.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yeah I'm looking for my sister to call me at 7AM complaining sooner or later. It JUST hit 60k miles today!!! But her Jeep has been so dang reliable that I don't know if anything will ever break on it. :D

That's a GOOD thing though!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm looking for my sister to call me at 7AM complaining sooner or later. It JUST hit 60k miles today!!! But her Jeep has been so dang reliable that I don't know if anything will ever break on it. :D

That's a GOOD thing though!
You do realize by that statement you have just insured that her Jeep will fall apart in the next 15,000 miles, right? :p ;)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

Sounds to me like a dodgy oil pressure sending unit, faulty/bad ground on the oil pressure sending unit, clogged oil passage way!
Unless of course your Kj is blowing blue out the tail pipe!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You do realize by that statement you have just insured that her Jeep will fall apart in the next 15,000 miles, right? :p ;)

LOL.

Well as long as it happens within the next 9920 miles, it'll be under warranty. :p

Oh speaking of her Jeep, it's no longer stock. I need to update my signature.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this probably doesn't apply to the KJ, since it's a light, but I know our Ranger has the old fashioned needle oil pressure gauge, and when it's cold out, the needle would get stuck down so the light would come on. We put a dipstick (or whatever it's called) in the oil and it stopped the problem.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys (and gal). You've got me wondering with that sensor talk. How expensive is the sensor and is it something that a novice mechanic (or probably one rung below a novice) can accomplish?

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys (and gal). You've got me wondering with that sensor talk. How expensive is the sensor and is it something that a novice mechanic (or probably one rung below a novice) can accomplish?

It was awhile back, so I'm not positive, but I believe it was only around $80 for the dealer to replace it, so it's not a horribly expensive fix. I'm not sure as to how or where it is located though....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.