2002 Jeep Liberty interior lights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sammyboy

Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to figure out my mother inlaws Jeep . She's said the interior lightsxwont come on. I checked all the fuses. The multi switch I tried, and I checked the bulbs. I used a scanner that was able to read the bcm. It shows the courtesy lights off while viewing live data. Would this mean the bcm itself has the lights off? Thank you in advance

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Multifunction switch ie. the switch that has the turn stalks, dipped beam etc. are known to fail often but could be a problem with the BCM.

If you replace the switch make sure it is the correct one for your vehicle as regards fog lamps!

sammyboy

Reaction score
The Multifunction switch ie. the switch that has the turn stalks, dipped beam etc. are known to fail often but could be a problem with the BCM.

If you replace the switch make sure it is the correct one for your vehicle as regards fog lamps!
Thank you for reply. The scanner I have xtool D9 can read the bcm but cannot make changes to bcm. I wonder if I pull the wires from the switch and figure out which ones are for the interior lights if I could solve it that way.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Try disconnecting both battery cables & isolate them away from battery.
Tape or clamp both battery cables together for 40 minutes, re-connect to battery, and see if the BCM re-sets itself.

sammyboy

Reaction score
I tried the hard reset and no luck. I'm going to disconnect the multi switch and find the wires for the interior lights and see if I can bypass the switch.

sammyboy

Reaction score
I was wondering on the bcm, is it programed off or is it reading multi switch as off. Unfortunately the D9 scanner does not have the capability to change settings on the bcm.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Check with Chrysler/Jeep. Originally they used a star scan diagnostic tool.
Most shops today use a way more modern diagnostic tool: snap on modis ultra, and can upload new software.
I can not say for sure that there was a BCM update, but worth checking.

If I remember correctly as yours is a 2002, ask them if there was any applicable software updates.
My 2004 was updated in 2009 aprox and it included a fix to locking rear gate when in reverse and
a bunch of other updates...

sammyboy

Reaction score
Check with Chrysler/Jeep. Originally they used a star scan diagnostic tool.
Most shops today use a way more modern diagnostic tool: snap on modis ultra, and can upload new software.
I can not say for sure that there was a BCM update, but worth checking.

If I remember correctly as yours is a 2002, ask them if there was any applicable software updates.
My 2004 was updated in 2009 aprox and it included a fix to locking rear gate when in reverse and
a bunch of other updates...
Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.