Oil leaking, cannot find where...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Liberty Sport 3.7 4x4

Oil leak somewhere on drivers side around the bottom engine compartment. Cannot tell what is leaking though. Too cramped and too many hydraulic lines in that area. Everything is dripping.

What is that small sized "cooler" in the front bottom of the grill area? It is about 12" x 4" , looks like the lines go towards the steering???

Is there a set of engine oil cooling lines? If so, where are theyt and how do they route??

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'm not sure what that cooler is, but if it does go to the steering, then that's the new location of the power steering cooler.

What color is the drip?

Red/Pink - Transmission or Power Steering
Orange - Coolant
Brown - Oil

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil that is coating the undercarriage is golden-brownish, same as the engine oil. The power steering fluid is red.

What is weird is that all the nylon/mesh hydraulic line sleeved/protectors have the oil saturated in them. Guess the leaking oil wicked around the lines.

I changed the oil (it was about due anyway) to see if the oil filter was leaking but that was not leaking...... dry towards the top altho oily at the bottom just like everything else.

There are two hydraulic lines on the drivers side that go into the radiator tank. Their connectors where the solid piping changes to rubber flex lines are kinda wobbly. Is that "normal"? I can turn the hex-connectors with fingers as well. Are these ****** lines? They look like they go into the ******.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Might be the ****** cooler lines.

A 2008 you should still be well under warranty. Take it to the dealer and let them handle it.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, it's possible that the oil filter isn't on flush. This happened to me. Right after oil changed, I noticed a very slow drip on the driver side under engine compartment. Right over that crossbar under the engine. Took it to the dealer, that was it. It may be as simple as that. Did you just get your oil changed?

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the oil about 2 months ago myself. Filter was NOT cross-threaded. And certainly not loose. I changed the oil again today just to check the filter (see above post). It was SNUG.

And since the filter is at the back of the engine, I am not sure how oil could get all over FORWARD of the engine?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the oil about 2 months ago myself. Filter was NOT cross-threaded. And certainly not loose. I changed the oil again today just to check the filter (see above post). It was SNUG.

And since the filter is at the back of the engine, I am not sure how oil could get all over FORWARD of the engine?
The oil filter on a KK with the 3.7 V-6 is in the same location as the '02-'07 KJ's with the 3.7 V-6,right under the PS pump ON THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE.

What vehicle do you have?

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil filter on a KK with the 3.7 V-6 is in the same location as the '02-'07 KJ's with the 3.7 V-6,right under the PS pump ON THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE.

What vehicle do you have?

Ummmm, ........ maybe you missed it in my original post in this thread?

Maybe I should have said the filter is "TOWARDS" the back of the engine compared to all the hydraulic lines and suspension components that are coated with oil.

Oil was even on the bottom line of the smaller cooler mounted the most forward inside the grill area.

Oil leaks usually flow backwards towards the rear end of the vehicle. I found oil dripings all FORWARD of the oil filter area.

Last edited:

2003KJ

Reaction score
Spray everything with a good de-greaser and wash it all off. Then crank it up and watch for your leak.

Like I said before, isn't an 08 still under warranty? I'd just take it to the dealer and let them deal with it.

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya know, I was about to take it to the car wash that cleans/sprays underneath as well.

Yes, under warranty. I wanted to make sure it wasn't the oil filter (that I changed 2 months ago).