Oil leak under Jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have alot of oil on whatever this is between front tyres.. Diff?? (excuse my dumbness)
Should I be concerned? I ask because I had a magna with an oil leak once and the oil got into everything and I ended up with a complete lemon that I just threw away. I kinda care about my Jeep so im a little bit of a hypochondriac about it :icon_lol:

You must be registered for see images attach

dougmac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you noticing any oil consumption? This is the differential. The oil filter is located over the top of it. If care isn't taken when changing the oil filter, oil can easily be spilled onto the differential. That may be the cause of the mess.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
things to check

I had a Mopar oil filter start leaking oil on the differential, so check the oil filter. Also check the oil pressure gage just above the oil filter as they can leak. Also check the fluid level in the differential to make sure it has the correct amount of gear oil.

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She is a bit low in engine oil, so was going to top up but ive only had the car a couple weeks so been considering doing an oil change instead of just a top up. Be definitely worth doing if the oil filter is leaking, so might do an oil change as well tomorrow when we put in the new thermostat.. Thanks everyone!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Have a good peak around the Oil filter & above with a bright flashlight.
I prefer things to be clean as much as possible, so a de-greaser & power washer is good.
Levels in the front diff & transfer case, should be checked every once in a while.
I just remove the fill plugs and see if anything oozes out or if my pinky can get wet...:icon_lol:
If you are power washing, why not do those lower control arms, followed up with some black rust spray paint!! :party52:

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything under there that could be damaged from pressure washing? Considering I bought it from the coast im suprised its not rusted through anywhere, but id like to give it a spraydown to get rid of any salt.
What kind of oil goes in the diff if it does need a top up?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the limited view in that one picture, my first thought was "leaking pinion seal".

Bob

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a couple more photos from different angles

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watching a video of replacing a pinion seal looks pretty complicated. I think that will be a mechanic job. How important is it to get this fixed quickly? Will it do further damage if I wait a while?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spray with an engine degreaser and power wash it first. No you won't hurt anything under there, our Jeep is designed to run in the rain! ;)
Then keep an eye on it, as that oil accumulation could have taken 10 years to get to where it is now. From the dirty looks of it, it certainly didn't happen overnight.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A Weap on seals is no big deal, that is why a spray De-greaser & power wash (not to close) but enough to clean dirty oily areas is good, as it will help to identify if is a leak or weap easier.
Fill plugs on diff & transfer case check, as to be full is necessary.
Gear oils etc are listed in owner's manual here is a screen shot: I just use dino not synthetics.
53307[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• 9633.jpg
    9633.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 0

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little oil spreads out and looks like a lot. Check the fluid level, I'll bet it's still got plenty. Job can be daunting first time without a lot of mechanical experience, but not rocket science.

"will it do further damage if I wait". It'll never do further damage as long as it's got grease in it.

Bob