Oil Leak.. trouble?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an oil leak I see under the front of my KJ. I'm not sure where it is exactly coming from. My dad noticed it for a short while but forgot to mention it to me until this past Monday. I put a pan right under the spot of the leak for a couple of days and see it's somewhat black in color. Does anyone have an idea what it can be?

Below are some pics I just took.

Leaks appears to be here
You must be registered for see images

Different angle picture

Different angle picture 2

Different angle picture 3

kjfan18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that your channel that catches oil from your oil filter? If so,your filter may be loose or possibly the wrong filter.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like that KJ has never been off road!

LOL, it hasn't yet. I would like to save a little more to buy a few more goodies for my KJ before I make any serious trekking - skids $$, tires $$$$, and a lift $$$$$$. The most it has gone off road is my camping trips, driving on grass/dirt roads to get to the site. You think my KJ is mad and is ******* oil to show it's frustration? heh..

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the oil filter. Make sure its the right one and that its tight.

Who changed the oil last time? Its possible thats just left over oil from the last oil change and who ever changed it didnt clean the oil catch out.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the oil filter. Make sure its the right one and that its tight.

Who changed the oil last time? Its possible thats just left over oil from the last oil change and who ever changed it didnt clean the oil catch out.

That's all it is. I always just wipe mine out after I do the oil change. Chances are that's all it is, but check the filter anyway like Jeepster says.

Dave

2003KJ

Reaction score
Yup, just the channel to try and catch the oil from the filter when you take it off.

Double check that the filter is tight though, I had mine work loose a couple of months ago and started leaking a good amount of oil. When I checked the filter, I could spin it by hand easily.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's feedback. My oil changes so far has been performed by my local dealership just because of the warranty and record keeping. I went back to them yesterday to change my oil since it was time and so far no leaks. More than likely the oil filter was loose in someway.

As for clean undercarriage, how dirty are yours? Maybe we should have a picture thread about it ;) Also I should start a charity and you guys can donate some of your ca$h for me to buy some good extras for my KJ - ie. lift, tires, skids... heh.. the holidays are around the corner.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Thanks for everyone's feedback. My oil changes so far has been performed by my local dealership just because of the warranty and record keeping. I went back to them yesterday to change my oil since it was time and so far no leaks. More than likely the oil filter was loose in someway.

As for clean undercarriage, how dirty are yours? Maybe we should have a picture thread about it ;) Also I should start a charity and you guys can donate some of your ca$h for me to buy some good extras for my KJ - ie. lift, tires, skids... heh.. the holidays are around the corner.

A thread on fum under muck! Sounds good.

As far as the charity... I want in too! :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

I will donate some special super duper extra mucky and stickkky undercarriage mudd and fix it up proper for ya......:D

Dave

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was your filter. I will take a pic of the underside of mine for you hah