oil leak on top of engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Son called and said it was smoking bad. He pulled over and raised the hood. Lots of oil around the back and on the firewall. There was also several large spots on the ground. I took the trailer today and hauled it home. The #6 coil had oil pooled up on top. I sprayed it off with brake cleaner and we let it run a little more. It looks like oil is coming up the bolt thread that holds the coil pack down. Any ideas on where we should start ? Is a cracked intake likely a possibility? No idle changes when I clean it off. It had new fel-pro valve cover gaskets 3 years ago.

I have not been under it yet, but loading on the trailer I could see that it had blown oil clear to the axle underneath.

Any ideas on what may be the problem? Thank you

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased one Friday and plan to change it tomorrow I hope. That was the only thought I could come up with. Since you had the same one I hope it does the trick. Thank you for responding

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Son called and said it was smoking bad. He pulled over and raised the hood. Lots of oil around the back and on the firewall. There was also several large spots on the ground. I took the trailer today and hauled it home. The #6 coil had oil pooled up on top. I sprayed it off with brake cleaner and we let it run a little more. It looks like oil is coming up the bolt thread that holds the coil pack down. Any ideas on where we should start ? Is a cracked intake likely a possibility? No idle changes when I clean it off. It had new fel-pro valve cover gaskets 3 years ago.

I have not been under it yet, but loading on the trailer I could see that it had blown oil clear to the axle underneath.

Any ideas on what may be the problem? Thank you
might want to get a mirror on a flexy cable / handle thing and inspect the back of the valve covers.

One of mine that I got as a project jeep was spewing oil. Turned out to be a hole in the back of the left side rocker cover. Twas one of the plastic ones. Apparently the monkeys that swapped the engine before me poked this hole and tried to jb weld it.