Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

earthlingsdotcom

Reaction score
I'm new to the auto industry, so forgive me if my questions are beginner.

What is the best/good type of Oil & Oil Filter.

Today, I had my oil changed, the mechanic used Castrol GTX 5W-30 and a Fram Tough Guard 3600.

My truck is a 2003 Liberty Sport 3.7L.

I've recently been told that Valvoline Synthetic Blend Oil is one the best, along with a PureOne Filter.

What do you experts here think?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as asking what kind is best
well thats like asking what is the best color of KJ
As far as Castrol and a Fram filter
there is much better,
I run Mobil full syn

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I will agree with Tom, there is better, but for your next oil change, that I hope you keep to the 3-3500mile change interval, your selections are numerous.
Better quality filters both from Mobil 1 and Purolator pure one, many use in the group, and do have an anti-drain back valve, to allow oil to stay in the filter when u first start up.
At least the tough guard has the drain back valve, but the lower end does not.
I use Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic in the Jeep and get the oil when on sale at Wall Mart-$30-35 for 5 litre jug.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Castrol is fine. Any SM-rated oil will handle 3k OCIs without breaking a sweat.

I do not like Fram. I prefer WIX/NAPA Gold.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about the cheap motorcraft filter, apparently they use the purolator filter inside for a fraction of the price.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best advice I can give you is to change you oil and filter regularly from 3-5K (3K for dyno oil and 5K for synthetic) and use a good filter each time. If you do that, you can't go wrong.

Good oils include Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platiunum. Both can be purchased cheaply at Walmart. Good filters include Mobil 1, Purolator and NAPA Gold. NAPA Gold is probably the cheapest of the best. Castrol GTX is a good oil is you want to stick with it. I'd switch to a better filter though. Valvoline Conventional is a good dyno oil.

Changing oil and filter regularly is the key though.

Last edited:

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most Frams are cheaply made crap! I recommend that you use a Purolator classic filter. Thats what I use and it does a great job. Used to hear a lot of noise from my lifters at startup, but ever since I put the classic on I don't hear it.

As for the oil your useing, Castrol is okay. But I think Mobil 1 full synthetic would be better for your engine.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running Fram filters for the last 50k miles or so. My KJ will turn 100k this week. After reading about poor quality of Fram filters on this web site, a Toyota Sienna web site and all the IH Scout web sites I lurk on, I switched to a Mobile One filter at my last oil change. Mobile 1 was my only other choice, unless I wanted to make the 96 mile round trip to civilization. I noticed immediately, I have less valve train clatter on cold start. I won't run Fram anymore.

semper_rideo

Reaction score
Purely anecdotal - A coworker of mine worked as a mechanic for a professional motocross team. He said they run Red Line synthetic. Once an engine blew a seal and leaked almost all of it's coolant out. The bike still ran two more laps and finished the race. Of course, the motor had to be rebuilt, but it wasn't destroyed.

That said, I use Mobil full synthetic because it's all they have at costco and sam's club in full synthetic 5w-30. Usually around $33 for a box of 6 quart-sized bottles.

Latest posts

Members online