Oil Filter Removal Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, since my dealership here in Cedar Rapids, IA was closed, I've decided to start doing my own oil changes and logging all the receipts and maintenance for my warranty. I went with the Napa Gold 1516 filter and Valvoline Synpower Full Synthetic 5w-30.

It really wasn't too bad overall, although the oil drain plug was surprisingly tight (I've read on here others have the same prob with the dealer).

I first used a wrench on the oil filter, which worked but I had to push up against the serpentine belt some, which wasn't too comforting. I ended up picking up the end cap socket type remover and it was a breeze from the bottom.

My question is, do you guys know any tricks for removing the oil filter without spilling oil everywhere? I placed rags under the filter as TJKJ recommended, but I still seemed to make a nice mess...

Thanks in advance.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That idea wont work as good as you think based on that picture. The filter barely fits between the suspension and engine components from the bottom and I haven't figured out how to get it from the top. You have to tilt it some to get it out and it spills. Although it is a great idea, I don't see you getting the bottom of a coke bottle up there to catch it and back out without spilling any.

I just suck it up and clean the area afterwards.

Maybe someone else has learned a trick, though.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
This week I watched the tech at Chrysler pull his fancy cart under the KJ, and smile because I had a K&N under there so he could just use a ratchet instead of a filter wrench. He then proceed to swallow my oil, as it spilled out all over his face and clothes ...lmao.

On the bright side he was able to provide me with a very detailed taste-based oil analysis. Apparently not even (all of) the techs at the dealership have figured out this problem yet. :)

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only tip is prepare to get dirty. The location is terrible. A cup wrench helps but I've found that all filters for this thing have a slightly different diameter meaning it doesn't always fit the filter. The standard purolator fits good in the cup wrench I have, if I opt for the pure one it doesnt which is a real PITA.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never had any problems with oil spilling out. Changing the oil in hemi is another story though. :rolleyes:

It has a little catch that catches all the oil. I turn the filter upside down and let it all drain into that channel then I bring the filter down and out.

sharpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont spill very much....

i remove the filter from above after i get it loose and i just empty it into the the plastic drain channel.
i doo have long arms tho.....:D

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I loosen filter from the top until oil starts coming out, then i push the filter upwards slightly to aid in oil draining out. Oil runs down the plastic catcher into my pan on the ground.

Once it's drained, i clean it off with a paper towel/disposable shop rag and finish unscrewing it the rest of the way. It doesn't make much mess at all. Sometimes i get a few drips on the ground, but never more than just a few drips.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i get the filter from the top, turn slowly so it starts to weep oil down the catcher drain thing, keep going untill it basically stops weeping. remove from thread and carefully pull it out.

the mess isnt as bad as trying not to get any oil on the aux belt.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not the worst oil change I have done.

I can't even see mine from the top because of the HD cooling fan shroud so I do it from the bottom. I put a folded towel under the filter and take it off and then wipe it up good including the plastic funnel. The first time I did it, I didn't do that and made a mess and thought I had a leak afterwards because oil was dripping from the plastic oil funnel. I also use a cap wrench and a stubby adjustable ratchet. I just loosen the filter and then take it out by hand. That seems to work a little better for me.

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Jen did her first oil change with the help of my dad...
That oil filter was put on so tight at the dealership that you needed Herculean grip with the oil filter wrench just to get the thing off!
I'm sure the tech in the service department do that on purpose to deter people from trying to change the oil and filter themselves!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jen did her first oil change with the help of my dad...
That oil filter was put on so tight at the dealership that you needed Herculean grip with the oil filter wrench just to get the thing off!
I'm sure the tech in the service department do that on purpose to deter people from trying to change the oil and filter themselves!

I don't know why some people do that. I only turn mine 1/4 turn after hand tight and I have never had a problem with one leaking or coming loose. I had one once that I twisted the actual filter trying to get it off and ended up driving a screwdriver through it trying to get it off. I finally got it and destroyed the filter in the process. I thought I was never going to get it out. What a nightmare it was.

2 things, make sure the old filter gasket comes off with the filter, and put a little oil on the new filter gasket when you fill it 1/2 way before putting it on. I had that happen once too. The first thing I do when I get the old filter out now is make sure the gasked is on the old filter.

Dave

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I didn't actually realize that there was a plastic piece there to catch the oil to drain. The oil change was not hard at all, just made a mess pulling the filter off. I'll definitely checkout the plastic drain next time.

Thanks for the advice.

KJcleveland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever i do them, the plastic oil drain catches all of the oil that might spill our from the filter. Ive only had it long enough to do about three oil changes but i havent had a problem with it getting everywhere. Ive definitely had to do worse! Unfortunately, ive got the little 4 cylinder engine so i think i have a lot more room to work.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Oh I didn't actually realize that there was a plastic piece there to catch the oil to drain. The oil change was not hard at all, just made a mess pulling the filter off. I'll definitely checkout the plastic drain next time.

Thanks for the advice.

My '06 has that.

I didn't know it was there either, so I had the oil pan under the filter, and well, the oil didn't quite GO that way... So, I still got a few drops on the street. I always loosen it up till is starts to leak out. I did catch it in time to keep oil from going ALL over the place, but that thing was a great idea to put there.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had to remove oil filters with a hammer and long screwdriver before also, not fun at all!!

And the designers that put that little oil channel below the oil filter are my hero's... Dude its so simple why didn't anyone think of it before? It makes the process a whole lot cleaner. I don't mind a little oil going down that channel as i don't have the engine skid plate, so let it run down and into my pan, better than going down the front of the motor.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's actually pretty funny because I loosened the filter from the bottom, then unscrewed it by hand from the top. I knew oil was starting to dribble out but then was surprised to see all the oil landed about 6 inches or so away from the oil catch I laid...

It's all good as long as I don't let it happen again :).

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my 03 LE 3.7L new back in Jan of 03. I took the skid plate off the first time I changed the oil and learned real fast about the the filter drain gutter. Not even close to the pan under the Jeep. I have found that even with the skid plate on I can replace the filter from below. And would you believe the folks at Jeep even made an opening in the skid plate to allow the oil that drains out to fall through. Ya gotta love it!

oddball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After removing the skid plate and draining the pan, I use a pliers type wrench to break the filter loose, then cup the filter with a large Ziploc bag and unscrew. Not a drop spilled. Note, use anti-seize on the skid bolts before you put it back on. Makes it easy to remove in the future.

Oh and as for the wrench I use, it works great for me with the Amsoil filter.

leadfoot

Reaction score
If it's TIGHT, use cloth tape.

Today I had a wrestling match with my brothers V6 oil filter. I read this post last night before attempting the oil change this morning.

When the last person changed the oil there were no spare brain cells available that day at the Midas workshop(Castle Hill NSW, for previous owner) where the job was done. I do not do oil changes for a living but I have done quite a few over the years, and this one was the worst. The filter was on TIGHT. Having not been underneath a Jeep before, I thought I was going to need to have elective surgery to have an extra wrist and elbow implanted, because of the limited space available. Could someone tell me how they can access the filter from above? I then tried from underneath the front. I could just get my hand in there but there was not enough room to swing the oil filter wrench no matter what I tried. I also tried removing the air dam with no success as I could not get all the fasteners undone(wasted 1 hour). I finally jacked up the car 6 inches and crawled further underneath and gained access between the sump and crossmember. The wrench was still slipping, and the drain channel was in the way, so I had to unbolt it to get more access. The wrench was still not gripping properly. An old oil filter has nice shiny slippery paint on it, so I wrapped 1 layer of cloth adhesive tape(gaffer tape?) around the base of the filter. This allowed a better grip without slipping and I could finally apply more force. Finally, success. Next time it will take all of 5 minutes.
SO if filter is on TIGHT, my advice:
Jack car up 6 inches or so
Unbolt oil drain channel- 10mm and 14 mm socket
Wrap cloth tape around base of filter
Lie on the ground underneath engine
Insert filter wrench between crossmember and sump
If it's really tight, place a length of pipe over the handle of the filter wrench
for extra leverage. That would have been my next and final option.
Once filter can be moved by hand, retighten oil drain channel.
Celebrate.
P.S. Once the oil filter was loose, I thought that the sump plug would be easy
Nope. it was very tight as well(Damm Midas idiot mechanics).

Last edited:

karter

Reaction score
Loosen the oil filter a little ,slip a plastic sandwich bag over the filter ,remove the filter . The sandwich bag will hold the oil spilled from the filter .