Oil Changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillyBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question, you buy a new jeep and it's 0 on the odometer, what do you think is the target for the first change. I know what the manual says, but I was just curious on people's thoughts.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people would say Im crazy, but I like to change it at 1500, then again at 3k, then whatever interval you want after that.

I switch to syn at 6k.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a google on the subject. 3k miles for years has been the norm, but with todays improved oils, 5k is becoming the new norm... even higher with synthetic oils. 1.5k is overkill and a waste of time and money....

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Quick question, you buy a new jeep and it's 0 on the odometer, what do you think is the target for the first change. I know what the manual says, but I was just curious on people's thoughts.

Whatever the manual says. If the manual says change it at 3,000 miles, change it at 3,000 miles. If the manual says change it at 6,250 miles, change it at 6,250 miles... and again at 12,500.... and 18,750 and so on.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine had 4 or so miles on it when I first test drove it (I added a 30 mile test drive before I actually bought it). So I had it from the start. What I did was change the oil and filter at 1,000 miles and then every 3 up until about 10,000 with dino and then switched to synthetic and change every 5,000 miles now. I don't know if that's right or what but that's what I did.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a google on the subject. 3k miles for years has been the norm, but with todays improved oils, 5k is becoming the new norm... even higher with synthetic oils. 1.5k is overkill and a waste of time and money....
I guess I will waste my money then.From rebuilding engines and learning proper break in,the first thing I did when I got my KJ was drain the oil(at 4 miles) and put in non detergent oil,changed at 500 miles with regular oil.At 1000 changed it again,refilled with synthetic,at 2000 changed it again,and then again at 3000.After that did oil changes at 3000 miles with Mobil 1 and either a Napa Gold filter or PureOne filter.Got to flush all the metal shavings out that will be produced by a engine breaking in and forming it's wear patterns.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Frist Oil Change I did was at 1900 miles. I had my jeep for 4 months when I did that. Now I do mine about ever 5-6 months now since I only do about 3-4000 miles in that time. Inface I just did my 3rd oil change about 3 weeks ago. I'll have my KJ for 1 year this month and I only got 9600 miles on it. :D

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow tjkj, and I thought some people would call me crazy! Youre up on those oil changes.

How often did you say you changed he ****** oil? Diff oil?

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ChiefRudy, wish I was you. 24k after 15 or so months. :)

I work about 5-6 miles one trip or 4 miles the long way(long in time). My girlfriend lives 18 miles away one trip. I Do about an avg of 200 miles a week. maybe about 240 If I do some extra running around.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow tjkj, and I thought some people would call me crazy! Youre up on those oil changes.

How often did you say you changed he ****** oil? Diff oil?
Flush my ****** every 15,000,change the filters at 30,000.Diffs get changed every 12,000,the t-case every 6000miles.Powersteering fluid every 12,000,coolant(and hoses,t-stat) every 3 years.All synthtic except the coolant.Fuel filter every 30,000,plugs every 30,000,and the serp belt at 30,000.Wash my air filter every month or when looks dirty(AEM dryflow filter).Last but not least rotate my tires every 3000 miles.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I will waste my money then.From rebuilding engines and learning proper break in,the first thing I did when I got my KJ was drain the oil(at 4 miles) and put in non detergent oil,changed at 500 miles with regular oil.At 1000 changed it again,refilled with synthetic,at 2000 changed it again,and then again at 3000.After that did oil changes at 3000 miles with Mobil 1 and either a Napa Gold filter or PureOne filter.Got to flush all the metal shavings out that will be produced by a engine breaking in and forming it's wear patterns.

that is overkill, rebuilding them or not, no where does it say to ever do it that often. My neighbor has had his 93 cavy since new and it has 289k on it now, oil changes every 6,000kms since new. Im sure about 98% of people do not do what you do to their their vehicles and about 90% of them will not experience engine failures. (this applies to the original owners who do proper maintance).

Most engine rebuilds have to do with improper maintance or some type of mechanical defect.

Im not trying to knock your method and say its dumb, but if that was really necessary to do, it would be recommended from the manufacture seeing as they would be the one to fork out the cash to pay for a new motor knowing they would break if you didnt do all that. But i guess if you want to be VERY careful then all the power to you

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least he will never have a break down due to lack of maintenance!

I felt like I was always doing stuff to my Jeep, I couldnt imagine how you must feel tjkj.

I just dont get the ****** every 15k, powersteering every 12k, and tcase every 6k? :confused:

Im at 30k and Ive not even touched the powersteering. 4yrs and the hoses, belt, and tstat are still the original. I probably do those at 60k. May do the power steering with the next oil change when I change the spark plugs.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats because those do not have to be done that often. im not sure if he just likes to work on his jeep that often or hes paranoid that these engines or like thin glass and are very fragile. also im sure he does more offroading then most and pushes it more which may lead to maintance more often but i dont see why with the powersteering that often, thats unheard of. I know many mechanics, ranging from dealer mechanics to mechanics who own their own shop and they have never heard of having to do so much maintance that often on some of those things hes listed. Heck at work right now i got 6 mechanics around me and none of them think ****** and power steering need to be done that often, even if your pushing the vehicle harder then most.

Engines these days are built to last up to 300k+ if maintained and following the service manual. With the advance in the oils used in the powertrain, it keeps everything running much smoother and cleaner, thus preventing so much maintance that often.

If you ad it up over time, all the time and money put into doing everything double as much as you have to, you could have added that money up for a motor rebuild when it does go at 300k.

If parts are going to break prematurely its because of a defect when it was made, no matter how much new oil you throw at it, if its defective, its going to break anyways.

People who put crap generic cheap oils in their vehicle, usually have more problems, if you use the proper good quality synthetics in all your moving parts, there is no reason why it would break prematuraly under normail maintance.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats because those do not have to be done that often. im not sure if he just likes to work on his jeep that often or hes paranoid that these engines or like thin glass and are very fragile. also im sure he does more offroading then most and pushes it more which may lead to maintance more often but i dont see why with the powersteering that often, thats unheard of. I know many mechanics, ranging from dealer mechanics to mechanics who own their own shop and they have never heard of having to do so much maintance that often on some of those things hes listed. Heck at work right now i got 6 mechanics around me and none of them think ****** and power steering need to be done that often, even if your pushing the vehicle harder then most.

Engines these days are built to last up to 300k+ if maintained and following the service manual. With the advance in the oils used in the powertrain, it keeps everything running much smoother and cleaner, thus preventing so much maintance that often.

If you ad it up over time, all the time and money put into doing everything double as much as you have to, you could have added that money up for a motor rebuild when it does go at 300k.

If parts are going to break prematurely its because of a defect when it was made, no matter how much new oil you throw at it, if its defective, its going to break anyways.

People who put crap generic cheap oils in their vehicle, usually have more problems, if you use the proper good quality synthetics in all your moving parts, there is no reason why it would break prematuraly under normail maintance.
I do push my KJ harder then most and from years of wrenching and rebuilding engines,trans,t-cases,and diffs I see the benifit from changing fluids at a regular interval.Plus most lubricants are being cheaply made these days due to high crude prices.

Todays engines are not being made to go 300,000 miles,heck most start going after the warrenty expires(worked at a dealer,you'd be amazed at how many engines failed before 50,000 miles),or at least start nickle and diming you to death.Newer engines have tighter tolerances and are using lower wieght oil which doesn't do anything for reliability.Ask race car engine builders about the difference between a loose engine(loose tolerances) and a tight engine,both have there advantages and disadvantages(loose=longer running,tight=more power).

And one more thing since I'm running full skids that blocks alot of the cooling that air rushing underneath the KJ provides,heat= disaster for ****** fliud in the ****** and t-case.At 6000miles my t-case fluid is pitch black and smells burnt(even though neather is a sign of bad fluid with the red dyed ATF+4),so why not change it with fresh fluid at a cost of less then $8.Changing the coolant every few years is standard to,remember when coolant is subjected to 2 different metals it turns into acid over time,the extended life coolant only delays that process by a little time.The raditor hoses and serp belt are rubber and breaks down over time also,plus I keep the old one's for spares and carry them when I hit the trails.

Anyway it gives me a good chance to look over everything under/around my KJ since I beat my KJ up offroad and spot any potenal problems that my start showing(cracks,leaks,and such) and fix them before a major breakdown.Why wait for it to break when you can fix it cheaper before it breaks?

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I know for a fact that the 3.7L and 4.7L are built to last 150,000 miles BUT of course that doesn't mean that there aren't some that'll fail before then... each casting and every single part are different.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if engines are failing at 50,000, then theres something wrong with them to begin with, no oil changes will fix that.

Also the amsoil coolant is rated for a few hundred thousand km's.