Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally did my first oil change and I have to say cleaning up wasn't too fun, lol. I change from reg oil to synthetic oil by Mobil1.

See my pictures below, my engine looks different than the previous models

You must be registered for see images

It seems like I have enough room to change my spark plugs too!

Even the engine oil I used is different than previous models - 5w-20

The OEM oil filter

Warm/hot oil came out from here

The steps I follow, wasn't too bad, but I had to buy a couple of equipments

1. Buy all nesscary parts (oil filter, 5qt of oil, oil filter wrench, and bucket)
2. Loosen the oil cap from above and then drain the motor oil by unscrewing the plug under the engine
3. Once all the oil has drained, remove the oil filter
4. Screw in the new oil filter
5. Screw back the plug under the engine
6. Pour the 5qts of oil
7. start engine

Am I missing anything here? I hope not ;)

Does anyone know which of the major shops take in old motor oil?

Last edited:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, what do you do with the old oil? Like if I buy one of those oil pans/buckets, I don't want to have to buy one each time. Is there a place I can dump my oil. Walmart perhaps?

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here autozone and advance takes used oil, ask before you bring it in. I take mine to the county trash collection centers myself because they also take the used filters. Of couse that will differ depending on what area you live in.

Just get you either a drain pan with a lid or put it in the gallon or 5 qt container you bought the oil in.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, what do you do with the old oil? Like if I buy one of those oil pans/buckets, I don't want to have to buy one each time. Is there a place I can dump my oil. Walmart perhaps?

Most auto part stores will take your oil.Free of charge too. I have a 20 gal oil pan container. When I do my oil I buy it in the 5 quart jugs and then just poor the bad oil into that when I'm finished. Then After I get a few jugs filled I take them to Advance Auto.

Simple as that!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where i live i take all my used oil down to the service station in town, they have a large plastic tank outside for all the used oil. They don't mind others dumping oil in there one bit because they actually get paid by a company that comes to pump it out once a month.

They recycle the oil and make a good profit off it. They also take oil filters, large plastic dumpster that the truck takes and leaves an empty one when they come get the oil. They cut the filters open and remove the element, the metal goes off for recycling, the filter element gets pressed to remove as much oil as possible for recycling.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
rc....In NY you can take your used oil to any place that sells oil and they are required to take it free of charge.

I have an oil drain pan and then dump it into a larger container with a cover that screws on tight and then just dump it at a service station up the street. I just keep using the container over and over. It takes me 4 oil changes to fill it. WallyWorld even sells them if you want to buy one.

Dave

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think all walmart's across the country take recycled oil.

I pull my trucks over my drain crock in my driveway and let nature do its thing.

Kidding of course.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about Walmart but you can drop it off at any Canadian Tire at no charge....

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about Walmart but you can drop it off at any Canadian Tire at no charge....
Canadian Tire!...damn why didn't I think of that lol. They take the old oil and filter free of charge?

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Make sure when you buy an oil catch pan for the changes to get one with a nice spout so you can pour the old oil back into the gallon jug that the new oil came in...has a nice sealed cap to transport it to where ever you take the old oil back for recycling.

Oh, and be careful not to over fill when pouring the old oil back into the container.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure when you buy an oil catch pan for the changes to get one with a nice spout so you can pour the old oil back into the gallon jug that the new oil came in...has a nice sealed cap to transport it to where ever you take the old oil back for recycling.

Oh, and be careful not to over fill when pouring the old oil back into the container.

That's how i do it. I bought a drain pan with a pour spout on it. I can actually cap that off and put the little plug in the hole in the center of the pan and use that to haul the oil away but its cleaner to pour it back into the jug the new oil came in and haul that off.

sharpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm they went to 5w20 oil?

i wonder if the pre 07 libs can use that? maybe a gas saving feature??

just thinkin out loud:p

Latest posts

Members online