Oil Change prices......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhanson16

Reaction score
Would you believe that everyone is wanting $79 to change my oil with Mobile 1? WTF!!!!! I can get the materials myself for $20-25 and take care of it. I just thought Id call and what it would cost (Me being apathetic)

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rather just change it myself anyway. I change mine for about $25, including 5 quarts of Mobile 1 and a Purolator Pure 1 Filter. For the 10 minutes it takes to change it, it's not worth taking it anywhere.

jhanson16

Reaction score
I agree after what I was told. I live in an apartment and dont have the means to change it as easily as Id like. But for a $50 difference I sure will try.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean about the apartment thing. I lived in one up until July...luckily a friend of my dad's worked at Jiffy Lube, and I would go buy my own oil and filter, and he would change it for me for free. :)

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you believe that everyone is wanting $79 to change my oil with Mobile 1? WTF!!!!! I can get the materials myself for $20-25 and take care of it. I just thought Id call and what it would cost (Me being apathetic)
Mobil 1 synthetic isn't cheap is part of the reason it's so expensive. Add in the cost of an oil filter and profit for the shop and it all adds up.

My Crossfire uses 9 quarts of Mobil 1 0W/40. Throw in an OEM oil filter for $21.00 and a DYI oil change runs right at $85.00. The dealers charge more for the oil and again throw in their labor... Crossfire oil changes = $105.00 to $120.00, depending what dealer you use.

The good thing about it is, you're changing the oil half as much (or should be) than if you used dino oil. So, in reality, it really comes out the same $$$ as if you changed oil every 3k miles....

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use SYN and change mine every 3k. $20 for the 5 quart jug at walmart and $6-7 for the Pureone filter at advance. :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Priced about right.

The dealer will change oil for $39 (regular), $99 (syn)
Local place will change oil for $28 (regular), $69 (syn)
Chep-o spot that ends with lube will change for $20 (regular), $60 (syn)

Just think that syn is for people who make a lot of miles in 3 months so you don't have to change your oil based on your mileage, so it is saving you time while costing you same.

Since I only make about 10-12k a year, I only change every 3000 miles, regardless of time, and use regular oil..
I aint going down there to save $20 on an oil change. Otherwise if you enjoy doing it, that's a different story of course. :)

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pay about $75 for an oil change with Mobile 1.

The driveway to my townhouse is at about a 15 degree angle and I choose not to change it on the street out front.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been known to take up to 6months to get 3k miles.. Thats the main reason that I dont care to use syn and change it every 3k.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
22 (tax incl) for M1 syn
bout 7 (incl tax) for a pure 1
and 10 bux for my mechanic to change it
a lil under 40 bux.....

2003KJ

Reaction score
I use SYN and change mine every 3k. $20 for the 5 quart jug at walmart and $6-7 for the Pureone filter at advance. :)

Yup...wally world just did a rollback on the prices a couple of months ago on Mobil 1....making it nearly impossible to get a 5 quart jug come oil time.

Hard to beat a DIY oil change w/ synthetic and a napa filter for $25.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My last change was about $20-21 for the oil (syn) and about $6.00 or so for the Mopar filter from the Dealer (I am still in warranty so using Mopar filters). So about $27. I have used both Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum Syn once. I do it myself.

The Jeep Dealer near me sent me a flyer saying $24.95 for oil change. That was dino and a Mopar filter. The flyer just said syn was extra but not how much.

Most garages around here advertise oil changes in that same price range for up to 5 quarts and dino - syn is more. I don't know what brand of filters or oil they use.

Dave

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just changed mine. Mobil1 ext perf oil was $12.99 and Mobil1 15,000-mile filter was $9.99. I change it about every 5000 miles. This change the oil was quite a bit better looking than the last few so I think the previous owner may have been taking it to the dealer (had a Mopar filter when I bought it) but the crankcase is getting cleaner, now. :D

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Don't get me started on Mobil 1 0W-40 and dealership oil change prices. I believe I've posted stories on here before, but from what I can remember....

Dealerships want $11/quart for Mobil 1. That's too much money. I only need changes every 6,250 miles, but still.... it's ridiculous. So I found another synthetic oil to use. I still let the dealer do the actual change because I don't like doing oil changes.

Last edited:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also get my oil from wally-world. The 5 quarts of Mobil 1 for $20 and I throw in a Fram oil Filter for like 5 bucks.

My father had a Synth. Oil change done by a dealer once on his truck and it cost him $80-$90. Thats why I've done all my oil changes on my own since I started using Synth. Oil.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ChiefRudy, have you ever thought about using a different oil filter?

Fram makes some of the crappiest filters around.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ChiefRudy, have you ever thought about using a different oil filter?

Fram makes some of the crappiest filters around.

What other filters would you prefer? I'm open for suggestions. :)

In fact the last time I did an oil change I was gonna get a different Filter but I already had the Fram in my hand and my girlfriend pulled me away and I forgot to go back.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I get free oil changes for life. But im considering doing it myself just because I dont feel like driving to the dealership.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
What other filters would you prefer? I'm open for suggestions. :)

In fact the last time I did an oil change I was gonna get a different Filter but I already had the Fram in my hand and my girlfriend pulled me away and I forgot to go back.

purolator..Pureone is rated pretty high....(various sources)