Oil change and Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ender00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to get my first oil change in the liberty. Its not the cars first though. Its got 55600 miles. what would y'all recommend?? its getting cold but not that cold, i will get it changed before it gets North Dakota cold in beginning of Dec. prolly looking at synthetic ? heard good things about royal purple, cept the price ?

i also need an alignment i think, it wants to pull to the left, then switches and want to pull to the right. i need to clean it up a bit but it did this before the off-roading. mostly pulls to the right. anyway. . . . has anyone ever attempted an alignment on their own, i have seen it done in a magazine, but that was with a tuner car. looked labor intensive. should i bring it to the dealer or a local shop. what am i looking to pay.

thanks for any advice.

2003KJ

Reaction score
For the oil, I highly recommend Mobil 1 10W-30. 5 quarts at wally world will run ya about $20 and some change, and then I use a Napa Gold oil filter which is about $6 and some change. Good good good stuff.

For the pulling, it may be out of alignment, but check one thing first. Sometimes the crown in the road will make the vehicle pull one direction or another. Sometime (better late at night or early in the morning) drive down the middle of the road (inbetween lanes) and see if it wants to pull then.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use the 5w30 now, when your change the oil again in Dec. you can go to 10w30. Any synthetic or synthetic blend oil is recommended over conventional oil. Napa oil filters are good, so are Purolaters. Are they the same?

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
I would use the 5w30 now, when your change the oil again in Dec. you can go to 10w30. Any synthetic or synthetic blend oil is recommended over conventional oil. Napa oil filters are good, so are Purolaters. Are they the same?

Not sure if they're the same. I do know that Napa filters are made by Wix...and they're one of the best out there as far as filters go. Just stay away from fram!

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deffinetly do not do the alignment yourself.

It will be 99.9% impossible to get it right by hand.

Especially for anyone other than a master mechanic.

The best I've seen someone manage is to just get it from "way off" to "slightly off" alignment in a driveway.

Take it somewhere that guaruntees the alignment so you can take it back after you wheel and have it fixed for free.

2003KJ

Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Take it somewhere that guaruntees the alignment so you can take it back after you wheel and have it fixed for free.

I believe Merchants Tire and Auto have a program where you pay one price up front (can't remember the price) and you get as many alignments as you want, when ever you want. So you could get it aligned, wheel the piss outta it, then go back and get it aligned again.

vettenuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend German Castrol 0W-30, I run it year round in all my cars including the Vette. Super oil, meets ACEA A3 requirements and is usually available at Autozone. It will say "Made in Germany" on the back, if it doesn't it is not the real deal.

ender00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
??

just got oil changed today. i got valvoline 10w-30 full synthetic and a new valvoline oil and air filter = $77.92 good or bad value, topped off all other fluids too prolly gonna switch to 5w when the weather turns cold.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The 3.7L is supposed to run 5W-30 year round.

(10W-30 can be run during the summer months though... so there's nothing wrong with it.)

<-- had to fill up his engine with Mobil 1 0W-40 because KDJ burned a quart in 4.6k miles.