Of Shocks and Struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've a solid plan for fixing up our '04 KJ. Replaced one tire two weeks ago, will have next two done (hopefully) by the end of January. Next is brakes. And while there's several other issues I'm looking at, wife's request is to have shocks and struts done. She has back issues and every bump sends waves of pain up and down here spine!

Before I ask for any recommendations there's a few things I'd like to make clear. I have no intentions of lifting this vehicle. Wife would never be able to get in it! Nor will I ever be doing any rock climbing or mudding. I do however want to be able to tow a jon boat, or a small trailer for hauling "stuff" wife finds deals at garage sales to restore.

I mention both all this because I know that will determine what type of shocks and struts I will need. Something that will give us a smoother ride while doing city driving (and dodging potholes) yet tough enough to handle gravel roads leading up to boat launches or country estate/yard/barn sales.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I no longer have the tools to do this work myself. But I would like to know what I should be getting estimates on doing all this for. I have one tentative estimate for $800 to do the front struts and rear shocks at Midas that I have floating around here someplace, but I've never heard of the brand of shocks before.

As a side note to this whole thread, I believe I read on another post, some one eluded to the fact the front spring portion of the struts are "weak". Also, my wife says she feels like the steering is a bit "sloppy", will this help tighten up the steering a bit?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Fact is spring is well sagged & you have to do the job with springs & shocks all the way around.
Ya Monroe quick struts are the basic, but what kinda ride long term are you going to get?
Ask anyone in here and the answer is probably what you don't want to hear.
A small lift with OME springs and OME or Bilstien shocks, offer the best of the beast in handling, ride & comfort long term.
The steering will be better as long as your rack bushings and other front end parts are in good shape. You will have to do an alignment after suspension work.
It may be best to get a full inspection first, to know the ball joints, control arms bushings, end links, rods etc are good.
That way you know heading into it, what all you may need up "front"

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option is to get OME/Ironman springs with no lift. Same quality.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of misconceptions when it comes to springs/ lifts etc
Not everyone is out rock crawling every week
nor do you have to lift 3-4 inches
BUT what you will get is a ride that's 100% better and handling as well

I would look at the OME 925 or 926 front and 947 rear combo
won't give much lift but ride will be improved

Oh well another thing we don't have struts
Struts are only used on vehicles that do not have UCAs:icon_lol:

Just add
stock springs front are 310 lbs
OME 925 350 lb
OME 926 375 lb
OME 927 400 ( which is what most use and does give you 2.5 inches of lift )

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I've a solid plan for fixing up our '04 KJ. Replaced one tire two weeks ago, will have next two done (hopefully) by the end of January. Next is brakes. And while there's several other issues I'm looking at, wife's request is to have shocks and struts done. She has back issues and every bump sends waves of pain up and down here spine!

Before I ask for any recommendations there's a few things I'd like to make clear. I have no intentions of lifting this vehicle. Wife would never be able to get in it! Nor will I ever be doing any rock climbing or mudding. I do however want to be able to tow a jon boat, or a small trailer for hauling "stuff" wife finds deals at garage sales to restore.

I mention both all this because I know that will determine what type of shocks and struts I will need. Something that will give us a smoother ride while doing city driving (and dodging potholes) yet tough enough to handle gravel roads leading up to boat launches or country estate/yard/barn sales.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I no longer have the tools to do this work myself. But I would like to know what I should be getting estimates on doing all this for. I have one tentative estimate for $800 to do the front struts and rear shocks at Midas that I have floating around here someplace, but I've never heard of the brand of shocks before.

As a side note to this whole thread, I believe I read on another post, some one eluded to the fact the front spring portion of the struts are "weak". Also, my wife says she feels like the steering is a bit "sloppy", will this help tighten up the steering a bit?

Front springs are only rated at 310 lbs, they are weak and sag which gives a crappy ride
I couldn't stand mine brand new, swapped out for a full OME 927/948 combo at 20,000 miles and then I started loving to drive the KJ.
So yes it will help somewhat.
The 03 I picked up recently only has 81,000 miles but suspension is toast. Hate driving it as you feel every bump, crack , worm crossing the road
I have a complete new Monroe Selectrac springs / shocks for it sitting here but to me not worth the time installing it cause I know I'll hate it anyways
So selling/ trading/ standing on the corner with one leg hiked up to get a ______________ lift. ( we'll fill in the blanks soon) :Bye::icon_twisted:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For as much as we don't like Monroes, the Monroe load levelers for the rear would help with towing capacity and stability while hauling weight.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For as much as we don't like Monroes, the Monroe load levelers for the rear would help with towing capacity and stability while hauling weight.

Yes they do been running them on the back of my 04 for last 7 years or more ( ones for Dodge Dakota 4X4 of course) helps with the heavy rear bumper, towing, skids etc
Oh lots of others are running them as well after finding out how well they work

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they do been running them on the back of my 04 for last 7 years or more ( ones for Dodge Dakota 4X4 of course) helps with the heavy rear bumper, towing, skids etc
Oh lots of others are running them as well after finding out how well they work

Same year Dakota?

Bottman

Reaction score
What worked well for me was Monroe Quick struts in the front and bilstein shocks in the back. That way I got rid of the sagged springs in the front and got really good shocks in the back. I got a lot better ride and handling by making this change..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What worked well for me was Monroe Quick struts in the front and bilstein shocks in the back. That way I got rid of the sagged springs in the front and got really good shocks in the back. I got a lot better ride and handling by making this change..

Have a set of those Monroes Quickies sitting here in the garage
thought about it for Old Green, with 81,000 miles shes at least 20,000 over due. But after thinking about it, not really an upgrade and I'd be back replacing again in 40-50,000. So major upgrade time