OBD Code 1686

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dk1802

Reaction score
The "key symbol on the dash is lit up. Not everything is working properly, i.e windows, heat blower, dash readings from instrument panel. I put a code reader on and code 1686 came up. The code interprets to "No messages received from the Smart Key Immobilizer Module." Does anyone know what needs to be replaced/fixed. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the anti-theft device isn't transmitting a code (not sure how the GC systems work - RF frequency, resistance, etc). I'd check the wiring near the ignition switch and make sure something isn't chaffed or cut. Other than that, need to find where the module is located and how to test or replace it. Do you have a service manual? Might be a good idea to purchase one and go to town. They should have a diagnostic tree telling you how to test the unit.

Dk1802

Reaction score
Thank you. I have an extended warranty so maybe I'll have the dealer checkk it out.