NV247. Has anyone done it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think the command trac is meant to be shift on the fly, I thought the selec trac was. Plus isn't the selec trac basically a selec trac with an extra full time 4x4 option?

First mines a DD as well as most everyone elses on here and the other KJ/KK sites. Mine takes me everywhere I want to go
Main point is good tires and driving habits gets you much farther than some who think they lock it in end of September and take it out end of May

I've always done the shifting that way, of course I'm not driving it 75-80 on snow covered roads . Did it on the XJs etc , well everything. Of course I never use the clutch when shifting any of the Harleys I had nor any of the Petes I drove either.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never said I was scared of snow. But anyone who says they ain't afraid of crashing and dying are full of shit. Driving in the snow and ice for the work commute is not a bravery contest to see how dangerous you can get without crashing. Like I said, its a daily driver. Its MAIN duty is taking me and my family to where we need to go safely. Iam aware of atlas cases and most other transfer cases and their functions, but the main subject here is the full time transfer case. NV 247. I'll even entertain the thought of the 242. I was saving it for another build but I may cave and throw that in.

Been driving for over 45 years, never had a wreck really, none my fault) Thousands of miles driving cross country for a few years. I take driving seriously and don't take chances ever. So its never a contest to get anywhere, well except trying to stay out of the way because of stupid drivers that think they have a SUV they can go and drive anywhere. :happy175::happy175:

neald

Reaction score
Lol. I hear you. Btw I was just reading what it says in my manual about coming to a complete stop before shifting the trans case.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never said I was scared of snow. But anyone who says they ain't afraid of crashing and dying are full of shit. Driving in the snow and ice for the work commute is not a bravery contest to see how dangerous you can get without crashing. Like I said, its a daily driver. Its MAIN duty is taking me and my family to where we need to go safely. Iam aware of atlas cases and most other transfer cases and their functions, but the main subject here is the full time transfer case. NV 247. I'll even entertain the thought of the 242. I was saving it for another build but I may cave and throw that in.

Funny you say that, only time when I had an actual 4WD I used in bad weather once and for a rather idotic cause, a free showing of Daredevil thanks to being in college. Why did I use 4WD, I chalked it up to lack of driving experience, not even twenty years old. Ever since getting rid of that 4WD and eleven years later with nearly a million miles under my belt from being a former driver, now having another SUV that is RWD only, I don't panic. I use common sense, took a while to get used to having a solid rear axle once again, that is jumpy but that's Just A Jeep Thing. I've gotten used to it, the fact is 4WD is too much of a crutch and people use it as an excuse to drive in weather that even somebody like me knows when to just stay home where its SAFE. Being caught in the stuff, understood but once you're home you stay home unless its an actual true emergency. I was stuck in a small town for three days after a blizzard and high winds ripped through, my wife then fiance at the time didn't go to work for two days because I flat out refused to drive her until I knew the roads were safe. This comes from someone who in 3 inches of snow with a FWD car would do 55 mph and hold a straight line on supposed summer tires at the time. It's not my driving I worry about. I have enough training and skill to handle the situation which has paid off more times than I can count on one hand from an outside force be another driver or an animal. Its the other idiots I worry about because they feel the need to go out and about for no reason other than what they declare an emergency that can wait, and end up causing an accident because their vehicle is in no shape for winter IE bald tires being the number one nation wide problem today. 4WD won't save you from the guy sliding out of control, and it may not actually save you from sliding out of control either. A driver with common sense, knows when it's better to just not go out rather than risk their own life and the lives of others.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would if this was a trial rig but it is a daily driver. The other night I hit some sleet on the way back home from picking up a 242(for another project) and hit some fine sleet. Temp just around 32*. I was fishtailing left and right, almost killed myself. Felt like doo doo cuz I have a jeep with 2 day old Cooper AT 3's and everyone else was tryin to push me out of the way to get by me. I only had it in 2wd but I didn't want to pull over just to put it in 4x. I think the 247 would have came in handy that night.
Yikes man, look at using some winter tires if sleet messes with you like that, I would be pretty terrified if I didnt feel solid control in slushy or icy weather, running dueller revo 2s year round atm.

Members online

No members online now.