Now I remember why I hate RTV.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the diff oil changed in the hooptie today (you're supposed to change it after every 145,000 miles, right ??). I gathered all the shizzle I needed yesterday, including a tube of Ultra Grey RTV. When I was 11 years old, I remember thinking "Why the fudge am I trying to use this orange goopy shit to form a seal with ??". Fast-forward 21 more years, and I'm still saying the same thing, with an added "....it'll be a fudging miracle if this shizzle works".

I'm amazed. We can put men on planets other than our own, we invented devices that allow us to see completely through a human being, we survived the evolutionary process, but still.... this goopy shizzle is the best we've come up with to form a seal with ?? Next time I'm just gonna bite the bullet and order a gasket, like any normal person would.

No word yet on whether the goopy bullshizzle actually worked or not. It's curing.
:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just think RTV has been to the moon.Great stuff and the diff surfaces are not machined for gasket use.If I have a choice between a gasket or RTV I'll always use RTV,less chnace of it leaking.I will never use a gasket and RTV together,that's asking for leaks.

If traditional RTV does not suit you try this stuff..................

http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...ng_Formula_Gasket_Dressing_Flange_Sealant.htm

Don't even have to wipe anything off,as long as no dirt get's on it just pull off and slap back together(even with oils and such on the surfaces) with no worry about leaks.Used similar stuff in the military and the best stuff out there and totally idiot proof.Expensive but worth it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
We know he knows one word really well!
Not the right place to use it though,
maybe tone it down a little.

GA05SPORT

Reaction score
I use LubeLocker gaskets on my Wrangler and would never use RTV again unless unavailable. I've honestly not checked to see if they have product for the Liberty. I'll not be happy if they don't but if not, it is what it is.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
They have it for the KJ. I have one. Not installed, but it's in the spare fluids/parts bin that I carry with me all the time.

Moon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have it for the KJ. I have one. Not installed, but it's in the spare fluids/parts bin that I carry with me all the time.

Ooooooh. So I now understand that I'm not the only one with a "just in case" box of stuff in the hooptie. I've got just damn near everything I would need to do a "field repair" on the wreck, right there in the back.

:cheers:

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I imagine a lot of us on here keep some sort of field kit on board. I keep a variety of fluids/small parts/tools in mine for basic roadside assistance, along with things like a small first aid kit and road flares. I don't keep gaskets or fluids for the differentials in mine though.