Not much heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh_9096

Reaction score
UPDATE: I took the temp of the hose going into the heater core and it read about 145 degrees with the engine at normal temp and the other hose read 130 degrees. So i know the heater core is heating up. could this be a blend door issue? I can just barely hear it move if i have the engine off and all other electronics off.

Boomhawr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, thanks folks.

Gunner, as previously stated in another thread, I thought the manual for mine was missing (just bought it used maybe 6 months ago), until someone on here just recently told me where to find it. So I COULDN'T look in the manual.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I took the temp of the hose going into the heater core and it read about 145 degrees with the engine at normal temp and the other hose read 130 degrees. So i know the heater core is heating up. could this be a blend door issue? I can just barely hear it move if i have the engine off and all other electronics off.

Did you flush out the the wrong coolant and put HOAT in yet? Start there if you havent. We're not just blowing smoke out our rear ends, it can lead to much bigger issues than no heat. Clogged heater cores, radiator hoses, radiator, failing water pumps, thermostat.. the inside of your cooling vanes in the engine.
Much easier to deal with now before it coagulates. Once it's gelled up, it's a much more time consuming process to rid the cooling system of it.

That all being said, I barely hear my blend doors and they're properly functioning, but audible enough to hear.
Start with your coolant though.

Besides if I was you id be hoping that it was just the coolant. Hour process to remove it all, flush, refill and bleed the system..
Vs.
4-8 hours to drop the dash dependant upon your familiarity with it and information on it.

Last edited:

Josh_9096

Reaction score
I did a complete flush and put the recommended coolant in. Still no change. Im starting to lean towards the blend door because i have 150 degree going into the heater core but only 89 degrees at the vents.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a complete flush and put the recommended coolant in. Still no change. Im starting to lean towards the blend door because i have 150 degree going into the heater core but only 89 degrees at the vents.

Good to hear!! Are both hoses to the heater core 150? Inlet and outlet?
How'd you go about bleeding the system after refilling the coolant? And it's at its proper level when cold?
Do you start to get heat when you get up past 50mph? Worth taking your temp checks at higher speeds too.

Do you know how to drop your glovebox? Opening it, pressing the tabs on the sides and getting it to hang down can get you better access to hearing the blend door.

Josh_9096

Reaction score
Good to hear!! Are both hoses to the heater core 150? Inlet and outlet?
How'd you go about bleeding the system after refilling the coolant? And it's at its proper level when cold?
Do you start to get heat when you get up past 50mph? Worth taking your temp checks at higher speeds too.

Do you know how to drop your glovebox? Opening it, pressing the tabs on the sides and getting it to hang down can get you better access to hearing the blend door.

The hoses are only about 5-10 degrees apart. it still does get a little warmer when the rpms are higher

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try to recalibrate the blend doors? If you did not it worth a try, the procedure is in the factory service manual.

Boomhawr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color is your coolant? If it's a yellowish clear, or pinkish light orange you may be okay to leave it.. but I've been through the whole wrong coolant scenario and it's not fun.

It's the yellowish clear. I had the thermostat replaced not long ago under the extended warranty, and had it done by the dealership, do it's what they put in it. I would HOPE the dealership would know what to put in it, but ya never know now a days. HAHAHA!!!

justjeeps

Reaction score
02 liberty 3.7. my dad used stop leak to fix a radiator problem without asking me first. So, I had to replace the radiator due to a hole and the water pump and thermostat due to overheating. I'm not getting heat from the vents. I flushed the whole cooling system 5 times and the heater core another 5. I will only get heat when the rpms are up around 2000. If I shut the fan off for a couple seconds and then turn it back on, I'll have burning hot heat for like 2 seconds then back to barely warm. I need help.

The heater core is $40.00 or so but it's involved to replace it. I replaced one in my old 03 Liberty and it took me a few days, not to mention I found about 4 missed bolts and had to pull it a apart again. I would of left one bolt but 4....

make room for the seats, dash, console, steering wheel and air bags.

I used a Haynes manual and googled for any questions I may have had.