Not going to start a spark plug thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't even have a torque wrench when I put them in. I'm a little hazy on it now, but I seem to recall reading that you should get them snug and then adding 1/4 turn to that. That felt nowhere near right to me so I might have added a little bit more.

Will try the re-torque. :)

If you are anywhere near a harbor freight. 10$ with coupon usually.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never used a torque wrench for years and never had trouble but they weren't aluminum heads. I did the snug and 1/4 turn too. I have been using antiseize with the aluminum heads (not just in my KJ) but will change that practice. Just read somewhere a while back you should so have done so since. I do dial my torque wrench down. If given a range (say 18-21 ft/lbs) I go with the lowest number.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got one now, and yes - that's where it came from. :D

Make sure it works.
My first HF torque wrench didn't work so I returned it and bought one from autozone.
Autozone also has lifetime warranty.

I would definitely buy the digital one later down the road.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure it works.
My first HF torque wrench didn't work so I returned it and bought one from autozone.
Autozone also has lifetime warranty.

I usually wind up with Craftsman. They seem to be very reliable and not too pricy. I have a 1/4 drive that is a cheap one but it checks out with my other ones. I'm sort of **** when it comes to torque wrenches. I think I have 5 and check them periodically.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The beauty of snug then 1/4 turn (or whatever they say) is that it's unaffected by anti-seize. It is based on thread thickness which doesn't change with anything on the threads. Only works on new gasketed plugs however. Still, all the major manufacturers say not to.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to personally thank HoosierJeeper for starting this "Not going to start a spark plug Thread". ;)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The beauty of snug then 1/4 turn (or whatever they say) is that it's unaffected by anti-seize. It is based on thread thickness which doesn't change with anything on the threads. Only works on new gasketed plugs however. Still, all the major manufacturers say not to.

^^..."snug then 1/4 turn".... this is what it says on the spark plug box.

Dave

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snug + 1/4 turn has worked for me for 50+ years on all kinds of infernal combustion engines...

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I screwed up that last comment - Should have said "Still, all the major manufacturers say not to put anything on the threads of sparkplugs."

I have seen snug plus 1/4 to 1/2 to 2/3 turn depending on the manufacturer. The NGK plugs I have for my Liberty say 1/16 turn past snug for tapered seat and 1/2 to 2/3 turn past snug for a gasketed plug. I go by feel but usually stop at 1/2 turn past.

profdlp

Fired
Reaction score
I want to personally thank HoosierJeeper for starting this "Not going to start a spark plug Thread". ;)
And we should all probably thank ourselves for "Not going to post" in the "Not going to start a spark plug Thread".

But I'm not going to say that. :happy175: