Not getting much sound from my rear....... speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway,

I installed my new kenwood kdc-x789. And I'm not getting much sound out of my rear speakers. I get some but it's not very loud or clear at all compared to the front. The only thing I can think of is that some how my pos and neg are crossed. but I can't imagine that would be caused by my wire harness connection. I'm going to check it anyway but any thoughts about switching the wires on the actual back speakers?

or any other thoughts. my other thought is the reciever it's self but...... that doesn't make very much sense.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don't think any sound would come out if the wires were crossed. When I was installing my speakers I had the music on. I'd touch the pos/neg to the terminals on the speakers and if I had placed them backwards, no sound would come out.

Could it be possible the front sound louder because you hear music in combination with the dash speakers? Maybe you can disconnect the dash speakers and then compare the front/rears. Or maybe a fade/crossover setting on your HU?

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I checked my wiring and it was straight.

So then I went to my back right door and after figuring out how to get the panel off. I switched wires. It does play with the wires crossed but the distortion is higher. So I figured out it is wired right, but I also figured out that I reinstalled it wrong, why can't they just label that shit? Anyway stil open for suggestions

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no but I am going to. Which is another reason why I would like to know once and for all which wire is pos and which is neg.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps (or if it's a universal thing), but a wire that is black usually represents negative. So the wire with the black stripe is negative.

This may come in handy (speakers):

White wire = Left Front
Gray wire = Right Front
Purple wire = Right Rear
Green wire = Left Rear

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speakers (Drivers) Function on AC power, Which means that, depending on the frequency being reproduced the pos/neg are trading wires hundreds to thousands of times per second. Unless you have additional hardware attached to them the speaker itself should and usually does function with either configuration at the terminals.

Unless you are running a nice component system you probably have 2,3, or 4 way speakers, in which case the polarity is moderately important. With the polarity crossed you face distortion, and possibly no function depending on the type of speaker.

Concerning your problem though:
My guess would be,
-Bad reciever
-Bad Wiring
-Blown speakers
-Just your imagination

I lean towards either 3 or 4

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liber said:
Anyway,

I installed my new kenwood kdc-x789. And I'm not getting much sound out of my rear speakers. I get some but it's not very loud or clear at all compared to the front. The only thing I can think of is that some how my pos and neg are crossed. but I can't imagine that would be caused by my wire harness connection. I'm going to check it anyway but any thoughts about switching the wires on the actual back speakers?

or any other thoughts. my other thought is the reciever it's self but...... that doesn't make very much sense.

If you used the wiring harness, you should be able to unplug the new deck and put the factory deck back in without any rewiring, right?

I say try that and see if the rear speakers sound fine. If they sound fine with the factory deck and NOT fine with the new deck, it has to be either the new deck itself or the wiring harness. Possibly a bad connection? Did you crimp or solder the vehicle harness to the deck harness?

Latest posts

Members online