Noise from ribbed belt drive - 2.8 CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieterh

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am searching for the reason of a chirp noise coming from the ribbed belt drive.

1.) After removing of the belt I noticed a freewheeling inside of the belt pulley of the alternator, but it seems to be out of function - hard coupling.
Do all the KJ CRD (mine is from end of 2005) have this freewheeling or are there some without this feature?

2.) I felt axial bearing clearance (estimation 0.5mm) between magnet clutch of the auxiliary heater and its belt pulley.

3.) The stretching device of the belt looks and feels "healthy"....

:confused:I am still not sure what is the reason of the noise, difficult for me to locate it

Question to the experts:
Are there dealers (in Europe?) selling the free wheeling of the alternator and bearings of the magnet clutch of auxiliary heater as seperate parts?

Any ideas or experience regarding this problem?

Kind regards,

Dieter

Last edited:

dieterh

Reaction score
Dear Tony,

thanks for the interesting links.
Where did you get the pic of the VM engine from?

The decoupler is completely out of function, not possible to move it anywhere on the alternator shaft. It is like an alternator without any decoupling function. I am not absolutely sure, but I cannot imagine it can make this chirping noise.
Could it be caused as a side effect of a defective, fixed decoupling?
It seems the belt tensioner must work heavily...

BR.,
Dieter

dieterh

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

changed decoupler, and everything runs smooth again.
Thanks,

Dieter

Members online