No Transmission Dipstick on '07 Liberty???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odd, I can't imagine any reason for omitting the transmission dip stick :confused:
It's true that you may never need to replace the fluid but occassionally it leaks out or water leaks in. How are you supposed to smell for burnt fluid? lean into the engine compartment?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, disappearing dipstick link fails... what gives? Now it's the disappearing disappearing dipstick article.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stuff like this is why ill never buy a new vehicle again. cant even work on the damn things for a simple fluid check or so they try and make it so. from now on, its car show stuff 75 and older. 1970 f100 (black or red) preferred. lol!

i love my 06 lib though.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You think not having a trans dipstick is bad I did a oil change on a '07 Mercedes,SL500 or something, and it did not even have a oil dipstick.Had to start the car and have the PCM tell me the oil level.

CAL-KAY-JAY

Reaction score
I was a bit miffed too that my 'o7 didn't have a ****** dipstick either. You can buy one from the dealer for around $80, but through a little experimentation, i found that the engine oil dipstick works with the auto trans as well. Just wipe the oil dipstick really well and slide it down into the trans. Full mark is the same for the engine oil and ****** fluid ;) alot cheaper than $80!!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a bit miffed too that my 'o7 didn't have a ****** dipstick either. You can buy one from the dealer for around $80, but through a little experimentation, i found that the engine oil dipstick works with the auto trans as well. Just wipe the oil dipstick really well and slide it down into the trans. Full mark is the same for the engine oil and ****** fluid ;) alot cheaper than $80!!

That is an awesome discovery CAL-KAY-JAY.

Welcome to the forum.

Dave

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You think not having a trans dipstick is bad I did a oil change on a '07 Mercedes,SL500 or something, and it did not even have a oil dipstick.Had to start the car and have the PCM tell me the oil level.

talk about taking a chance huh?!

hwystitch

Reaction score
I found a 06 dipstick from a ****** place for $5, hope its the same for our 07.

I tried the oil dipstick, and it showed the ****** as being low. I am going to wait for the 06 trannie dipstick.

Last edited:

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My VW jetta doesn't have a dipstick, becuase the fluid never needs replaced for the life of the vehicle. I actually called the dealer to ask about a flush, and they suggested I didn't want to do that because it would cause the transmission to blow up. The fluid in a VW looks more like 0W-40 motor oil then it does transmission fluid, but I got 110,000 on it and it still drives like it was 10,000 miles on it, so maybe the libertys will be using some sort of fluid like this?

Who knows.

If you read the back of the Mopar ATF+4 bottle, it says:

Engineered to be a "Fill For Life" automatic transmission fluid under normal driving conditions.
I guess their idea of "Life" is shorter than ours.

BLACKATTACK!07

Reaction score
I have been to forums before for prev cars Ive owned, and was stupidfied to see that they took away the dipstick for the ******, so does a 06 one work???

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
If you read the back of the Mopar ATF+4 bottle, it says:

Engineered to be a "Fill For Life" automatic transmission fluid under normal driving conditions.
I guess their idea of "Life" is shorter than ours.

Only for the W5A580, and even then Chrysler took that back, in the recommendation schedule and recommended 60k for HD and 120k for LD use.

SO they are not lying, it just depends on which transmission you have.

No KJ or KK uses this transmission however the KA does.

07LTD

Reaction score
Just bought the 07 Limited and was annoyed at the no dip-stick thing as well. Only logic behind it that I can think of is thier sick of the 42LE/42RLE failing because somebody notice's their low on the interstate and assume the wrong fluid is better then no fluid...

Im going to look at the pan on my LH with the 42LE if its the same and probably is then I got a spare in the shed somewhere.

Site looks great I see some sweet rig's out there!

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 and you can use a 06 dipstick but you will need and adaptor for the top of the tube I got mine from longtalltexan as the top of the tube is made for a cap not a stick and will pop up.
I have checked this with the temp stick and the dip stick reads the same as the temp stick if the trans is at the correct temp.

07LTD

Reaction score
Yeah as soon as I get home from Virginia I'm going to take a peak, from here my though was to mod the black plug in the tube now onto the other dipstick to seal it properly. As long as the pan and the tube length are the same I dont think it will be an issue.

Over the next week I plan on changing all fluids just so I know its been done. She has 58k now and is due for the 60k interval.

I'm figuring Royal purple for the diffs and I'll have to dig up the part number to see what to use in the T-case.

She's got that Orange Anti-freeze in her now and that shit gets nasty when it gets old so Im going to swap that out as well.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah as soon as I get home from Virginia I'm going to take a peak, from here my though was to mod the black plug in the tube now onto the other dipstick to seal it properly. As long as the pan and the tube length are the same I dont think it will be an issue.

Over the next week I plan on changing all fluids just so I know its been done. She has 58k now and is due for the 60k interval.

I'm figuring Royal purple for the diffs and I'll have to dig up the part number to see what to use in the T-case.

She's got that Orange Anti-freeze in her now and that shit gets nasty when it gets old so Im going to swap that out as well.
ATF+4 only,that means no RP as it does not meet Chrysler's specs,for the t-case and trans.HOAT coolant(GO5) only in the cooling system.

Latest posts

Members online