No Reverse, Forward Slipping, Codes P0700,P0837, P0839

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

somma4189

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post and I was hoping someone could help me out. so about a week ago I was getting on the highway and at around 40 mph, all of a sudden, it felt like the transmission was either slipping very badly or popping out of gear. I would hit the accelerator and it was as if the car was in neutral. When I stopped and tried to accelerate again the car would go fine through first gear then when it tried to shift into second it slipped back into neutral. Also reverse does not work, it feels like it does not engage at all. I thought it could maybe be a problem with the transfer case position switch so I replaced that and the codes are still there and the driving problem has not changed. I was wondering what some of you might think the problem is. Thanks a lot for any help and if anymore information is needed please let me know.

Quick Info
2005 Jeep Liberty V6 3.7 L Automatic
Engine Codes P0700, P0837, and P0839
Forward gears slipping, Reverse not engaging at all.
Transfer Case Position Switch replaced and no change noticed.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be more concerned with the P0700 code. The T-Case Position switch doesn't affect driveability. How many miles are on it? Have you replaced the fluid/filter at all?

Info I pulled up for the P0700 code:

(DTC) CODE # P0700....Transmission Control System (MIL Request) Translation: Transmission Control Module (TCM) Malfunction or Failure. P0700 Information Code The Transaxle Control Module (TCM) monitors the malfunction of sensors and actuators relating to transaxle control. If any malfunction is detected, the TCM informs the PCM by sending a signal (P0700 code). P0700 means that a code has been set in the TCM. This code is for information ONLY. If this code is present, check for transaxle codes. So basically, the P0700 code is telling you to check the TCM for a transaxle DTC. The TCM can not turn on the check engine light so it has the PCM do it. The dealer probably saw the code P0700 and went to the TCM and pulled out the code stored there telling them the Transmission Solenoid Assembly (TSA) is bad. This is a good example of understanding what the codes actually mean. If the manual you looked at said the TCM is bad and to replace the TCM when you see a P0700, then it is wrong.

I believe the autos have a solenoid pack that can go bad, might want to look into that.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=solenoid+pack+jeep+liberty&_sacat=&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_odkw=solenoid+pack&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Our '04 lost reverse near the end of February...

Our thread:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/oh...verse-gear-go-oh-where-oh-where-did-go-50870/

Long story short after posting the above thread.

Jen originally brought our Rig to a dealership.
They deemed the ****** fluid was "OK", but the transmission
listed these two codes:
P0750 "Shift Soleniod A Malfunction"
P0753 "Shift solenoid A"

I crippled our Heep to another shop after the dealership quoted Jen $1500.00-$2000.00 more than what they quoted me!
F:favorites68:k 'em!
On route it started loosing drive, continually shifted erratically, then started to stink like burnt ****** fluid.
Turns out that the transmission clutches were fried, as were the transmissions electronics.

****** was KAPUT!

We had a rebuilt unit installed along with a custom front driveshaft.

I hope you have better luck.