Newby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kutter56

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to KJ life. Last year I bought a 2007 Sport, with a NV242, for my wife and to tow behind our RV. We love it so when an opportunity arose, I got one for myself.

I saw an advertisement on FB Marketplace for a 2004 Sport, that stopped running, for $600. The body is in good shape so I decided to take a look at it. Long story short, I bought it for $450 and decided to see just how cheap I could get it on the rebuilt and on the road.

Both Head Gaskets had blown and we think that the Cam Sensor shorted because 4 Rocker Arms were knocked off the Cam. There was virtually no wear in the engine, even at 180k miles.

My buddy is rebuilding the engine for me, in exchange for an old worn out Cherokee. I picked up a full set of 265/70-16 Goodyear A/Ts with, 200 miles on them for $350, and I'm putting a 3" lift on it.

We're replacing several parts that might not need it but now is the time since they're accessible.

I'm looking at putting it back in service for around $2800 with a fresh motor, lift tires and the initial cost.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to KJ life. Last year I bought a 2007 Sport, with a NV242, for my wife and to tow behind our RV. We love it so when an opportunity arose, I got one for myself.

I saw an advertisement on FB Marketplace for a 2004 Sport, that stopped running, for $600. The body is in good shape so I decided to take a look at it. Long story short, I bought it for $450 and decided to see just how cheap I could get it on the rebuilt and on the road.

Both Head Gaskets had blown and we think that the Cam Sensor shorted because 4 Rocker Arms were knocked off the Cam. There was virtually no wear in the engine, even at 180k miles.

My buddy is rebuilding the engine for me, in exchange for an old worn out Cherokee. I picked up a full set of 265/70-16 Goodyear A/Ts with, 200 miles on them for $350, and I'm putting a 3" lift on it.

We're replacing several parts that might not need it but now is the time since they're accessible.

I'm looking at putting it back in service for around $2800 with a fresh motor, lift tires and the initial cost.

Welcome to the madness
I'm fairly new to the KJs as well, only been playing with them since 2004.
Jeeps since very early 70s, 3 Cherokees bought new , fully built, like the KJs better .
What lift are ya doing ?
Also you'll lose some power and mileage with that size tire just so you know.
I'm running 4.10s with 265-70-16s and its just right on power and overall mileage.
Running stock wheels ? If so may have some rubbing depending on what brand of tire