Newby Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cprat76

Reaction score
Guys and Gals,
Long time lurker, first time poster. I bought a 2006 Jeep Liberty Renegade back in January with about 50k on the clock. The previous owner had put larger than stock tires on it, and apparently they were not too large when it was new, but now the suspension has sagged enough that the tires have started rubbing on the inside of the wheel well. I'm getting ready to relocate in a month or 2, and money is at a premium. The tires still have plenty of tread on them. I have decided that it would be cheaper to do a lift, than to replace the tires with the tires I want, especially since I'm going to be lifting it eventually anyway. I have already decided because of this board, that I am going to be going with the OME medium springs to perform the lift.

My question is this: Can I get away with just doing the springs, or do I have to do the shocks and struts as well. I know I'm going to have the struts out anyway, and I should just do the shocks, but really, I don't have that kind of money to do the whole she-bang all at once.

I look forward to your sage wisdom, and what a fantastic resource you guys have put together.

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with 50k and as you say the thing starting to sag some. I would do the shocks and struts too. also its going to be cheaper in the long run if you do it seprate if you can even do that. you will be paying the labor to install the old struts with new springs then later paying again to have the new spring pulled and the new strut installed on them and put back in, not to mention more alignments. 2nd is I dont think you can put OEM struts in OME springs I think the OME spring is too tall for the stock struts.... the strut cant extend enough is what I mean. I ce wrong about that..... if TomMudd reads this he will know for sure.

I put 245/70R16 on my CRD at 41,000 now at 58,000 miles I am getting some rib on the fender liner when I turn sharp to back out of my driveway. But I dont care I want to lift it anyway.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You CAN run OME's on OEM shocks (we don't have struts), however, I wouldn't recommend it.

The front shock is the same length no matter who you buy it from. The rears, you'd typically want to go with a longer shock if you're running OME's (one from a durango works well), however, I think you could technically run an OEM shock.

I agree with the other poster - I'd highly recommend just doing them all together, it'll save you money in the long run.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would at least need new rear shocks to allow for the taller extension. The rear shocks need to be longer than stock. Read some of the lift facs and that will give you a good idea. Not replacing the front shocks would be like doing the lift twice if you replace them later. While its apart you might at as well do it. The front shocks as well as the rear are probably about cashed out by now.

The very least you would get away with is not replacing the front shocks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I could explain it all out but the quick and simple answer is your front shocks are more or less toast already. Installing them inside of new springs will only kill the new springs quicker due to the shock not fully doing its job.
replace everything together and in the long run you'll be glad you did.
4 springs and 4 shocks 700 dollar range if you do some shopping around.
Talk to Marlin at www.jeepinbyal.com
www.shockwarehouse.com
www.boulderbars.com
front shocks for the KJ is just what it is
rears get 97-04 Dakota 4wd or 98-03 Durango 4wd

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok

Looks like I had it wrong
its the stock rears that are not long enough. any way save up and do it all at once that is what I am doing. I dont want to take the jeep apart more times than I have to. better to do it right first and be done.

Also try here for the parts. lower price and shipping than All J when I checked

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/site/kj_liberty_kits.htm

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok

Looks like I had it wrong
its the stock rears that are not long enough. any way save up and do it all at once that is what I am doing. I dont want to take the jeep apart more times than I have to. better to do it right first and be done.

Also try here for the parts. lower price and shipping than All J when I checked

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/site/kj_liberty_kits.htm

I'll add some to what you think is a better price.
If you look at the OME kits most only include the 132 rear shocks, NOT the 132Ls which are the correct length for a lifted KJ. for 760 jeepinbyal has it all together ready to go. PLUS he is a big supporter of the KJ/KKs and backs what he sells.
Nothing wrong with DPG have bought springs from them plus AllJs and OK4WD before, but I want the service and backing when doing something like this.
As far as doing it right the first time, yes its easier but i have a bad habit of tearing mine down just to try something different and also to see how quick it can be done:shrug::whip:

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll add some to what you think is a better price.
If you look at the OME kits most only include the 132 rear shocks, NOT the 132Ls which are the correct length for a lifted KJ. for 760 jeepinbyal has it all together ready to go. PLUS he is a big supporter of the KJ/KKs and backs what he sells.
Nothing wrong with DPG have bought springs from them plus AllJs and OK4WD before, but I want the service and backing when doing something like this.
As far as doing it right the first time, yes its easier but i have a bad habit of tearing mine down just to try something different and also to see how quick it can be done:shrug::whip:

I can not dispute what you say about Marlin and Jeepin by Al. I met him at PA Jeeps last summer. he seems like a great guy same as Dirk from DPG. Dirk told me he can package it with the parts I want. Marlin was pushing his custom stuff at the show more than the OME stuff. I have no doubt its great product but I'm not rich enough to buy his custom lift kits.

DPG does not sell the A arms so if you are buying those too there is some argument for ordering from him so you can get it all from one place.

Tom you are a tinkerer and thats cool you lean a lot that way and you share it with us that aren't.

cprat76

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's guys. You've been a big help. I found a set of 225/75/16's used for cheap on craigslist... I'm gonna pick those up and just swap the tires out until I can afford to do the lift.

Members online