Newbie with some 245/75s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam_burch

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I just ran across some really cheap and new Moabs with 245/75R16s and bought them. There for my wifes KJ and its bone stock. Ive got them on there right now and it rubs a bit and I expected that. Soooo....

I really want to use these tires and rims because they were such a good deal and we need new tires badly so what do I need to do to get this to work?
Ive been reading about lifts and I'm 100% postive my wife is not going to go for a lift... I'm kinda a newbie at this so please dont flame me if I ask dumb questions. Suggestions please and thanks alot!!!

Oh and I've used the search button and google...... Alot

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way I know of is to get a lift.

You'd probably have to hack the fenders out pretty well to get it to not rub.

245/75 would rub like mad on a stock KJ with OE rims...adding the Moabs with extra backspacing to a stock KJ just makes the problem that much more prominent.

Adam_burch

Reaction score
Yea... I pounded it and did the whole fender thing. It still rubs. You guys ever heard of anyone putting on the 1.5/2' Daystar with my set up?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
What Aaron and Kevin said!
Our 2004 has 245-75-16 Goodyear M/T R tires fitted along with 1.25 inch thick alloy spacers and I get minimal rub when just driving on the road! And I have more than 2.5 inches brand new lift kit fitted!
So what you are trying to acheive with a bone stock Liberty will give you considerable rubbing on all the typical areas and will more than likely drive you nuts!

Daystar spacer lifts are ok if you have under 30,000.0 miles on the KJ. After that the coil springs start to sag and bag out and cause other problems.
But, yes you can use the Daystar spacer lift, but with sagged and bagged coils there is no guaranty that you will get rid of the majority of the rubbing issues.

Last edited:

Adam_burch

Reaction score
Have you heard of the 1.5/2 kit working with 245/75s? I know its only .5" but.... my wifes 5'3"

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Have you heard of the 1.5/2 kit working with 245/75s? I know its only .5" but.... my wifes 5'3"

Again, it is not so much the amount of lift the spacer lift kit will add, but rather how much the factory coil springs have sagged from new.
Then with the spacer lift fitted, you might not get enough lift to clear the 245-75-16 tires.
My wife is 5' 5" and has adjusted how she climbs into the cab of the Jeep!:D

Check this thread out.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39094

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Simple answer is no they will rub unless you do a "proper " lift, no cheap easy way around it, no matter how cheap the tires and wheels were. Get a good spring lift , new shocks, bumpstops all the way around and thenyou can run them;)

I know of KJs with Rustys full spring/ clevis lift and they still rub with 8 inch wheels and 245-75s

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did not know that!
Now I know. :eek:

No problem, just didn't know if you were joking or not. That's the problem with MOABs - they stick out further and are wider, so the arc when the wheel turns is more. Makes it easier to rub.

On the flip side, if you're rubbing on the sway bar, they will help with that.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that lift. No, it wil not work...not with MOAB rims. (and it's a bad lift)

So, now what...:(

A) Sell the MOABS and get some new tires for the stock rims

(how much you want for them? :D )

B) Get a lift. My guess: the 2" Terraflex + clevis lift will do the trick.

Easy install. Click here

C) Sell the tires currently on the moabs and get some 245/70's put on the Moabs.

kskj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you decide to do a spring lift, I can help you put it in. Just bring it by, should only take a few hours. My wife is only 5' 4" and she loves her lifted KJ. Rides better than stock. :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
8 inch wheels?? WOAH NOW! I think they might need to make sure their brakes are still there... eek2.gif
Any one in THE KNOW about any 4 wheel drive knows what I mean when I say 8 inch wheel, of course forgot who the congregation was :rolleyes:

Adam_burch

Reaction score
If you decide to do a spring lift, I can help you put it in. Just bring it by, should only take a few hours. My wife is only 5' 4" and she loves her lifted KJ. Rides better than stock. :)

Yea ill have to do that... Im actually down in Derby, and from Salina

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the Old Man Emu med. duty coils and the same OME shocks/struts
we have the same set up but with Rancho struts ,which are no longer produced
it is on my wifes DD and we fit 245/75 MTR's on OE wheels with no rub
and now run 255/70's after 35k+ miles on the suspension
the ride quality of the OME is far better than any thing else

My wife is 5'6" and it is not to bad but she was very very against a "lift"
so I dont call it that I call it a "suspension up grade" which it is
but you get some extra lift to boot

kskj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found out that I'll be working in town till at least the end of the year so whenever your ready. I have a another spring lift but It's going on my daughters 02 next year.

Adam_burch

Reaction score
Ok guys,
before:
You must be registered for see images attach

After Lift: I used the Daystar
You must be registered for see images attach

Now the delimma....
It still rubs in reverse at full turn on the front wheel well. I trimed the airdam and deceided to stop trimming there. Its an 07 wih looowww miles and I dont want to eff it up.
Sooooo.... Not wife approved. So now my delima... I want to keep the Moabs, lose the lift and sell my MTRs which have less than 2 grand on them with the 5th never used... What tires can I fit on the Moabs and without a lift and not rub? Thanks guys

Adam-- Yea I know it looks sweet with the whole package

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leave the lift and put 245/70's on and you're golden.

With the moabs you need to keep the 245 or greater width.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
245/70s will rub almost exactly as much as 245/75s

Put the MT/R's on the stock rims. Only way you will get rid of rub.

Course, not that ThunderbirdJunkie knows anything, and the offset is obviously not what's causing the rubbing:rolleyes:

Basically, if the wife doesn't want to climb up in a lifted Jeep, put stock size tires on the stock wheels and take out the lift.