Buyers Remorse Open Country - 245 75 r16

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elafilos

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After lots and lots of reading I ordered my Open Country A/T plus (needed a more mild AT tread) at 245 75 16. Being lifted with an OME 2.5 inch and levelled with a 1/2 inch clevis lift up front.

While waiting for my new tires I can't get off my head that those would be WAY too big - at a point looking plain weird. Can you help me getting this out of my mind?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They most certainly will not be too big with your lift. 1/2 clevis is often frowned upon. 3/8 seems to be the most accepted limit.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
1/2 inch in front to level ?
Wow of all that I have done none took that much, well if any at all to sit level
You must not have gotten 927 front springs
But as far as that size tire goes it will work great on stock wheels
POUND OVER the pinch welds , after cutting open the plastic so you can neat it up and smooth it back over
If you cant figure it out I will advise
of course some power and fuel mileage loss will occur

elafilos

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, could have been a bit around 3/8 to 1/2 - used metric, and had like 10mm on the driver side and a bit less on passenger side. Took me quite some while to get it perfect but it sits perfectly flat on both X and Y axis with a full tank and a 75kg driver. (OCD kicked in).

I am guessing that my springs are 927, but can't be sure since these were salvaged from my spare KJ I bought last year for spares.

I will pound the pinch welds during the weekend and get my tires fitted on Tuesday (hopefully), I will share some photos then!

I should (must) regear but the cost is pretty steep since parts are not that readily available in Greece.. However I am guessing that switching from 235 70 16 MTs to 245 75 16 ATs would offset the loss of mileage.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your original post says ome lifted. Now you say off a parts jeep which is oem. Quite different. Old Man Emu (ome) manufacturers high quality springs Original Equipment Manufacturer (oem) just like it says. I'm a little confused by you posts. Help us help you by giving more details.

elafilos

Reaction score
I meant OME - the jeep I bought for spares had an OME kit fitted which I installed on my KJ. That's why I can't figure out exactly which springs are those.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I meant OME - the jeep I bought for spares had an OME kit fitted which I installed on my KJ. That's why I can't figure out exactly which springs are those.
OK so easy way measure
LEFT FRONT
MIDDLE OF WHEEL ( HUB ) TO BOTTOM OF FLARE
WHAT IS THE MEASUREMENT
We can then tell how much lift you actually have

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's mine with 245/75/16 Toyo Open Country AT3s with the 927/948 combo. Little bit of rubbing in reverse on tight turns, but been that way 13 years. Not going to change that now! Love the tires.

Reactions: JRB

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
245's actually look a little too small for the 8" width wheel. 245's on the other hand look perfect on the 7" width wheel. I'll send pic of mine shortly. And interestingly, I think the stretching of the tire accounts for the rubbing you get. I literally get none at full lock to lock with the stock wheel and even have about 1/2" spare room.

elafilos

Reaction score
6 Months and 4000 miles update.

The tires look and fit OK. However the mild tread is really a lackluster. Totally failed me in light snow over gravel, mud and anything wet. HOWEVER, it performs really good on wet pavement and new snow (been driving exclusively only MT tires for the last couple of years).

Regarding the size I had experienced minimal rubbing only on full lock and weird angles. The consumption difference is minimal when compared to 235/70 - however the loss of power is evident. On the brightside the increased air volume however works wonders on rocky / sandy and dry. I can go even lower - currently running an average of 22psi and 17psi on sand.

This is a decent tire, aimed for all around daily use. It's progressive for fast dry pack and sand driving inspires confidence - for anything more sketchy / muddy it's a NO NO.

So as per Tommudd's suggestion it's time either for 4.10 gears or just get back to 235/70...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.