newbie with a liberty sport '06 4x2 in mexico

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rulas

Reaction score
Hello to everyone in this forum

A week and half i got my new liberty sport 06, 4x2, 3.7 v6, automatic. Three weeks ago, not even in my wildest dreams i tought i could own a new jeep. I was on waiting list for a dodge caliber. I got tired of waiting for the caliber and was thinking of getting a pt cruiser. I went to the dealership and next to a pt cruiser was a liberty. Next thing i know im driving one and im loving it.

I read the owner's manual and it said that in the break in period (500 km) I shouldn't go over 80 km/h. I followed the manual and treated the liberty smothly. Today, at 650 km, took it on the highway to 120 km/h. I noticed that that when the automatic transmission shifted to 3rd speed the rpms went down to 1500, (with the pedal on the same position) and then like 3 seconds after went to 2000 kms and back to 1500 and back to 2000. I noticed that when the rpms were on 1500 if i tried to accelerate it gave me not a good response.
Please help me!, is this normal? Am i being paranoid? Is it because it's new? Is it because i treated the jeep too smoothly the first 500 kms and the computer learned to be driven that way?
Any answers would be appreciated, as i don't want to have a problem with my jeep on its first to weeks.

Thanks to all.

This a great place for jeep info

Note: I haven't had a new automatic car since my dodge shadow back in '93, so i don't know how modern automatics behave today.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It's possible the logic in the transmission could be screwed up. I doubt it.

This is why I never follow "Break In Procedures". It's bull. Just drive it like you normally would.

I'd be visiting my dealer first. Tell them what's up. It sounds like the torque converter is locking and unlocking.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
It's possible the logic in the transmission could be screwed up. I doubt it.

This is why I never follow "Break In Procedures". It's bull. Just drive it like you normally would.

I'd be visiting my dealer first. Tell them what's up. It sounds like the torque converter is locking and unlocking.

Break in procedures are Extremely important. Its good to follow them and just inconvenient about the learning computer on the liberty.

A dealership can reset the transmission learning process and that will get you back on track.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you can be an advocate of the "Break-in" rule or you can just be normal driving. I myself do not believe you need to "tread lightly", or drive lightly for *** amount of miles. The technology today is far more advanced compared to 10 years ago.

As for the logic of the computer, it does learn your driving habits. However, that is exactly why you should drive it now like you would in 10,000 miles or 50,000 miles. You are giving the system a false impression on your driving habits for the first 1000 miles or more. Just drive it normally, expressway or city streets (or off-road). Things will fall into place.

Just my opinion, but I would first take it back to the dealer to quesiton what you are experiencing.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Well you can be an advocate of the "Break-in" rule or you can just be normal driving. I myself do not believe you need to "tread lightly", or drive lightly for *** amount of miles. The technology today is far more advanced compared to 10 years ago.
Thank you, Phil. This ain't 1970. =D>

Now that I think about it more...

Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes. This will erase the information in the computer, and hopefully, it will re-learn itself after you start driving normally!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds normal to me. I hate the way this auto ****** shifts, so I lock O/D out until I get over 55mph. It will drop into 4th and lock the torque causing the rpms to DROP. Then it must un-lock the torque just to get up to speed since it dropped it into 4th to early and locked the torque. Whoever programmed this ****** should be shot ASAP. :-s

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Sounds normal to me. I hate the way this auto ****** shifts, so I lock O/D out until I get over 55mph. It will drop into 4th and lock the torque causing the rpms to DROP. Then it must un-lock the torque just to get up to speed since it dropped it into 4th to early and locked the torque. Whoever programmed this ****** should be shot ASAP. :-s
Sad to say, those symptoms are *NOT* normal. The transmission isn't supposed to do what he's describing. Locking out of O/D isn't necessary either. What you're doing also hurts fuel economy.

Guyute1210

Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes. This will erase the information in the computer, and hopefully, it will re-learn itself after you start driving normally!

THis doesn't reset the "learning" part of the ****** computer. You will have to have a dealer do it, or i saw on the web how to do it, but it was for a wrangler...

rulas

Reaction score
thanks for your answers.
It does feels like the transmision shifts to early, even in the city i feel that. Im going to try to take it on the highway on the weekend and try to observe closely to the problem. The rpms changes only happen triying to get a high speed and when i get to 4th speed everything is normal. But judging by your answers i gues its not normal.

I'll keep you informed

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
MoladoGuy said:
Thank you, Phil. This ain't 1970. =D>

Now that I think about it more...

Dig your own grave if you like, but that just my opinion.

I am under the impression that the driving information is not stored in volatile memory, I believe it is stored in the same place as the memory as the rest of the timing information.
It wouldnt make sense if you could undo your battery and lose all of the information in the computer.

But just in case... Did you read that from a reliable source or are we both just making guesses?

EDIT: sorry I just read guyute's post