Newbie Stereo Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carterdea

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a 2005 jeep liberty renegade. It is my first car. I really like it.

I would like to upgrade my stereo. I have no idea what to do, or what brands to choose.

I am welcome to suggestions!

I have $1000-$2000 to spend. But would prefer to keep it under $500 (if that's possible)

I don't care about subs all that much, as I mostly listen to rock.

Also, what is KJ stand for?

thanks,

carter

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lucky guy.
I hope I could get some extra cash that I can spend just on my sound system.

Consider one of these, http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4740

Are you planning to get speakers, tweeters, and HU or just the HU itself? For that kind of money, you could probably pull into one of thouse sound-shops and have them do the best rig, run you about $1200 without screen, or $2000 with 7" screen.

KJ is the designation of Liberty (02-07)
like TJ, YJ, XJ etc.. for different jeep vehicles.

carterdea

Reaction score
I don't know what a HU is.

Sorry for being dumb, but I had never even considered getting a Jeep until I saw this one. And it's my first car, so I have no idea about anything electronic.

But I know I want nice speakers, fairly nice subs, and maybe a deck.

I don't want the subs in the trunk if at all possible, as well as the amp. I want those in a better place (under a seat, or anywhere else they can fit).

I don't know if my parents would like me to get a DVD deck, but that looks like a good one. Does it come off? Or hide?

I like the stock deck thing, if I took off my Sirius, and switched it with one of those iPod mopar things, that'd be cool. and because I park outside, people stealing things is an issue.

carterdea

Reaction score
ok, so I just talked to a buddy of mine who does stereos. He said that I should see if I could put the subs on the inside of the back trunk gate thing.

He said, we could cut it, or replace it with fiberglass, so it sounds good and put 2 10's in there.

Does anyone think this is possible?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look on cardomain. I feel like I've seen one on there with subs in the rear gate.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You maybe able to mount a sub, depending on how deep it is.
You must be registered for see images attach

carterdea

Reaction score
so those aren't subs? How did you do it? And what kind of subs might fit?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
bill, is that yours.. tailgate already rattles as it is, this would make it vibrate way too much since it is not that stable.. or do they back it up with something? It looks great

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
bill, is that yours.. tailgate already rattles as it is, this would make it vibrate way too much since it is not that stable.. or do they back it up with something? It looks great
Yes it is mine. They arent sub, they are Infinity KAPPA 63.7i 6-1/2" 3-Way Loudspeaker. I dont get any rattle.

If i remember correctly, the max depth for a speaker that would fit is about 3 inches.

Here is what it looks like from the back.

I added some sound proofing material to the back which maybe why i dont get any rattle.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
wild stuff. =D>

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked at some different options. I never did pursue subs under the seats, But I think it can be done if you don't have power seats. It would be 8's at the most. I do have two 8's in the hatch (Soundstream subs) in a 5th order box. I also have a 10" kicker I throw in there sometimes. There isn't much room to put things. I do have my amp under the back seat and it does still lay down MOST of the way. I can still pull the box out and haul things.

Other options I've considered:
Pulling the plastic sides out of the hatch area and placing a sub on each side.

Walling up the back side windows (in combination with the plastic being removed.

Subs in the back passenger doors. They are even thicker than the tailgate.

None of these have been real appealing to me so far. I'm pretty happy with my quick release removable sub boxes for the moment though.

I'll also look tomorow wo see what could be tucked underneath the jeep and ported into the cab. I've seen that done before on a 4x4 Toyota. They built a steel waterproof box around the sub box to protect it.

carterdea

Reaction score
what kind of soundproofing did you use?

and do you think subs on the gate are totally stupid? I don't want them if they won't work.

carterdea

Reaction score
what's the best amp for my setup?

I am buying 4 diamond speakers and 2 10" pioneer subs.

thanks

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
carterdea said:
what kind of soundproofing did you use?

and do you think subs on the gate are totally stupid? I don't want them if they won't work.

I am not sure what the Pros would say but the best spot for an amp is under the seat. Unless you are going for competition, or you want to bother the neighbors with unnecessary noise, go with under the seat (if there is a powerful enough in a compact size) that's what I would do.

carterdea

Reaction score
ok, thanks, but I still don't understand:

Can I fit 10" subs under the back seats?

thanks

sqliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
carterdea said:
ok, thanks, but I still don't understand:

Can I fit 10" subs under the back seats?

thanks

Nothing really fits under the back seats, they drop down when you fold them. My navigation unit just barely fits. You may fit 8's under the fronts with a custom enclosure.
Just go nuts like I did with mine and get the cargo rack from All J's.
Take a look at the pics on the carstereo.com link in my sig.

carterdea

Reaction score
I can't use up my trunk space. I need it for carrying guitar equipment and such.

sqliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
carterdea said:
I can't use up my trunk space. I need it for carrying guitar equipment and such.

I hear ya, my wife is not happy about my lack of cargo space.