newbie needs help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chef0069

Reaction score
repairs

ok, so, scan computer codes, missfire code PO306, and PO300, locate bad plug, replace plugs and air filter, two hours labor, 287.00. Guess I should learn to change my own plugs. Is it complicated?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so, scan computer codes, missfire code PO306, and PO300, locate bad plug, replace plugs and air filter, two hours labor, 287.00. Guess I should learn to change my own plugs. Is it complicated?

Believe there's a how-to up in here somewhere.

But no. A procedure so easy even Jnaut could do it without pulling something and winding up in traction with a body cast.

Quick tips: After removing the coilpacks, but before pulling out the plugs, blast the orifice out with some compressed air. Minimizes dirt and debris from falling into cylinder when plug is removed.

#6 plug is repeatedly written up as 'tricky'. #6 is on left side, far back near the coolant reservoir. (If facing engine from grille)

Opinion is divided: Some people prefer to remove the coolant bottle (unscrews easily), some people remove the intake hose (unscrews easily and allows inspection of throttle body etc.)

If you do the latter and remove the intake hose, you might need an extension and a swivel on your socket-- then hold the whole assembly in the vertical to avoid lateral pressure on plug thus possibly cracking the plug's ceramic.

Other than that, what ThunderbirdJunkie said, about 30 minutes.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Chef- There is a whole "How To" section below the main Kj General forum. Tons of stuff to review and you can search in there as well. Here is the how to on Spark Plugs.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34330
When I purchase a vehicle I always buy some sort of repair manual like a Haynes as I do all or most of my tune up work myself and try to stay away from $100 per hour labor charges!
Of course some tools are always needed and when I go away for trips I like the 233 piece blue tool kit in photo below. Familiarize yourself with the kJ, this forum and a manual is really awesome. Glad it was just the plugs, did you get the battery load tested as well?
36014[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Wrenching.jpg
    Wrenching.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0

chef0069

Reaction score
No, I will have to have a service station do the battery load check next. is that a quick thing? Could I just pull in and have it done, or does it take leaving the car?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would take it to a battery shop that has a proper load tester.
I would leave it in the vehicle, but disconnect both terminals before the load test for safety. (disconnecting will remove saved codes and often remove radio settings)
Then when you start it again after the load test if it passes, or new battery, then place jeep into drive wait a second, 1st, 2nd, drive, slowly, without moving forward, and repeat again before driving off. Drive normally with a few fast runs in drive allows the transmission to re-learn from the disconnect as well.

telefunkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#6 plug is repeatedly written up as 'tricky'. #6 is on left side, far back near the coolant reservoir. (If facing engine from grille)

Opinion is divided: Some people prefer to remove the coolant bottle (unscrews easily), some people remove the intake hose (unscrews easily and allows inspection of throttle body etc.)

This may depend on the model or year, I can get at all 6 on my 07 without removing anything.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, the 06-7s ThunderbirdJunkie is fairly certain don't have the same coolant reservoir on the passenger side of the firewall.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my 06 did that, about a month after buying it... that would have been about a year ago... I took it to the dealer, it wound up running on 3 cylinders by the time i got it there. They replaced some plugs, and then they replaced the the cat. converters. all was warrantee... never had the problem since

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are we concerned about a car? Thought we were talking about a Jeep?

Down Boy!!!!!!!!!!!! Hehe. He obviously doesn't realise that every time he calls his Jeep a "CAR", a poor little kitten or puppy goes to its maker!! The last one is pictured below. A horrible way to go! And the noise was unbelievable! And I am not even going to mention the mess on the kitchen floor................... Hehe :D

Attachments

• dead_kitten.jpg
    dead_kitten.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 11