new to me kJ, first trip.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joe_jeep

Reaction score
i recently bought a 2007 KJ sport, 3.7L, 42rle, 3.73s.
its fairly typical. 85k miles. totally stock.
last thursday, i finally got it legal.
so i took it up north camping over the weekend.
b4 we left i gave it an oil change, and threw in an air filter.
aired up the tires to 35 lbs, hoping to firm up its stock mushy ride.
added a bottle of lucas injector cleaner, and a tank of mid grade, then hit the road.
i had a about 200 lbs of gear in the back, and a 65lb dog, large wife in the passenger seat.

on the way north i had the ac blasting, it works decent, but could be colder i think.
its 200 miles to camp, mostly freeway. i was running about 75 mph most of the way, cruise on.
it ran decent, fairly smooth for a old vehicle. im from the tj/lj crowd, so smooth is a relative term.
averaged right at 20 mpg on the way up. stopped 3 times for the dog to ***, and grab snacks.

while up north, i had it one some mild dirt trails. did not need 4wd.
some slight knocking noises on suspension cycling, i expected that.
this is never had any work done to it. suspension is all oem still.
im assuming its not a big deal, it drives straight, and holds it lane well.
i like how nimble it is! my lj on 35s could not turn a circle like this!

on the way home, it was cool, did not need the ac.
had a little less weight in the back.
i was often running much faster!
seldom below 80 mph, often more.
running faster, but with the ac off, i averaged 21.1 mpg.

even with factory 225 75 16s, 4.10 gears would be way better.
with 3.73s, and a .69 to 1 od ratio, its under geared.

im used to a 190 horse 4.0L, straight six, that hates rpms.
the 3.7L v6, with a few more horses, and a bit more rpms, feels almost peppy to me.

i did like getting 21 mpg, compared to 14.5 mpg in my ljr.
its a bit easier for my dog to jump into, than a lj on 35s.

its not big inside, but tolerable.
the seats need bigger bolsters for my taste.

overall not hating it so far.
do i wave at other jeeps, or look the other way?

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My jeeps in the past were tjs as well, mostly stock. I do like the kj as this is my first, just a bummer for me my front diff had cracked bearing caps when I got it, and was forced to get used to working on ifs instantly instead of easing into it. I have a manual so it came with the 3.55's stock, I plan on doing 4.10s and only going 1-2 inches taller on tire to be able to feel the gears more.

I must say in south florida where I am, it's nice not to get the jeep wave. The wrangler drivers around here are not the most polite, in fact I think a lot of them is where the stereotype of what the hells up with jeep people comes from hahaha. If you have what seem to be nice people in your area, I'd wave to them.

Also, I've heard earlier kj's had more comfy seats than ours, but I haven't wanted to sit in the ones I've seen at salvage yards around here.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 03 Limited leather seats in both my 03 and 04
My 05 has the worst seats ever , that's the year they changed them to the newer style, very uncomfortable for sure
I also run 4.10s in the 03 and 04 best **** for the buck
The 04 with 32s and lots of aftermarket skids, rock rails 4 inches of lift etc gets over 21 MPG at 75 plus on the Interstates with air blasting away for example
As far as suspension goes, the 04 had the stock , weak springs and shocks replaced before it had 20,000 miles on it ( bought it new ) couldn't stand the mushy ride

and I get waves from most all Wranglers except for the new ones and they don't know what the Jeep wave even is

joe_jeep

Reaction score
My jeeps in the past were tjs as well, mostly stock. I do like the kj as this is my first, just a bummer for me my front diff had cracked bearing caps when I got it, and was forced to get used to working on ifs instantly instead of easing into it. I have a manual so it came with the 3.55's stock, I plan on doing 4.10s and only going 1-2 inches taller on tire to be able to feel the gears more.

I must say in south florida where I am, it's nice not to get the jeep wave. The wrangler drivers around here are not the most polite, in fact I think a lot of them is where the stereotype of what the hells up with jeep people comes from hahaha. If you have what seem to be nice people in your area, I'd wave to them.

Also, I've heard earlier kj's had more comfy seats than ours, but I haven't wanted to sit in the ones I've seen at salvage yards around here.
i bet a 6 speed, 4.10s, and 31s, would be a hoot to drive!
enjoy!

Latest posts

Members online