new to liberty some???"s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbone

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got a 2004 4x4 sport with 72k miles. So far I love it but I was wondering how much drivetrain slack is normal? I feel a "clunk" when stopping and starting. Also I don't know the history of this vehicle so what maintenance should be performed at my mileage? Thanks for the help guys!

2003KJ

Reaction score
First off welcome to the site!

The clunks you're hearing are normal...happens on every Jeep, and the KJ is no exception.

As far as maint. goes, since you dont know the history, I'd definately change the spark plugs (i replaced mine at 26K and i was quite surprised how much they had worn down in that ammount of time).

You might also consider front and rear differential fuid changes (very easy to do yourself), and a t-case fluid change (very easy to do yourself also).

tbone

Reaction score
Glad to know that it is normal. I was going to do a spark plug change and fuel filter change this weekend but I I am not so sure I can do the fuel filter. From what I have read its not that easy to do. Also I have a window that is not working anyone have any ideas on that?? How about a trans fluid change would that be a good idea?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tbone said:
Glad to know that it is normal. I was going to do a spark plug change and fuel filter change this weekend but I I am not so sure I can do the fuel filter. From what I have read its not that easy to do. Also I have a window that is not working anyone have any ideas on that?? How about a trans fluid change would that be a good idea?

Yea, you want to change the ****** fluid for sure. Maybe even get a good flush since you do not know if its ever been changed.

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:

The clunks you're hearing are normal...happens on every Jeep, and the KJ is no exception.

As far as maint. goes, since you dont know the history, I'd definately change the spark plugs (i replaced mine at 26K and i was quite surprised how much they had worn down in that ammount of time).

You might also consider front and rear differential fuid changes (very easy to do yourself), and a t-case fluid change (very easy to do yourself also).

OK...what about my KJ sitting on an incline (my driveway), I put her in reverse and I here clunk. Put it in reverse on a level path and you hear nothing?

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chetos said:
OK...what about my KJ sitting on an incline (my driveway), I put her in reverse and I here clunk. Put it in reverse on a level path and you hear nothing?

Thats a result of the extra tension on the gears because of the incline, totally normal.

2003KJ

Reaction score
chetos said:
2003KJ said:

Try this trick. When parking on an incline, shift the ****** into neutral and set the emergency brake. Take your foot of the brake pedal, and let the ebrake catch...the jeep will move either forward or backward depending on how you're facing. Then shift into park. This takes the pressure off of the transmission and puts it on the e-brake. I've done this so many times, I do it by habit now, no matter if i'm on flat grounds or an incline.

tbone

Reaction score
Over all its in great shape. A few scratches here and there and the front bumper cover has a dent but I am looking at having it replaced, anybody got one laying around??

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
chetos said:
2003KJ said:

Try this trick. When parking on an incline, shift the ****** into neutral and set the emergency brake. Take your foot of the brake pedal, and let the ebrake catch...the jeep will move either forward or backward depending on how you're facing. Then shift into park. This takes the pressure off of the transmission and puts it on the e-brake. I've done this so many times, I do it by habit now, no matter if i'm on flat grounds or an incline.

Your a genius. No clunk!!! Thanks.

2003KJ

Reaction score
chetos said:
2003KJ said:
chetos said:
2003KJ said:

Your a genius. No clunk!!! Thanks.

You're very welcome. There's a technical term for what that is called when the ****** binds up like that from pressure of being on a hill, but I can't for the life of me remember what its called.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its also not good for the ******. I do not remember where I read that but its true. I think it might of been the OM.

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Its also not good for the ******. I do not remember where I read that but its true. I think it might of been the OM.

You're right, it puts too much pressure on the gears and causes excessive wear on them. I've also read that somewhere.