New Stereo!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blake, that's not what you have.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have written about it here, My kenwood's LCD went dead exactly 20 months later, and luckily, it being Excelon, it was still under 2 yr warranty, local shop fixed it and returned within a week. After the summer, next winter it went dead again, actually it went off and on, but finally it would never come on. I researched about it, they said something about soldering and taking the thing apart (was not a problem on the face panel, but inside main unit actually).. so I ignored it until I started thinking about replacing it. So, having paid only $200 and being that it actually served me well for 3+yrs, I went ahead and took it apart, got my soldering iron, and found the tiny little resistors, (they are small!) and ran my solder on them, with expectations of popping sounds, and hissing followed by smoke out the dash--- nothing bad happened, but the LCD came on. It was a very easy fix. :) So you may see a lot of kenwood review mention LCD going bad after 2 years or so, it is a very easy fix if you have steady hands and a soldering iron $7 at radioshack, including solder and a few other pieces.

tan's2002kjlimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tan, you are lucky to have someone you can trust with the wiring.. With Jeep they really need to know what they are doing. They were asking for $50 per side or $75 per side with tweeters on jeep. I was afraid they would break my dash apart, especially where tweeters are.. So I decided not to get it done just yet.

So you had them wire it directly to stereo without any amp?

Yes, but it needs more bass. Get a sub, also.

I think I'll buy a thumbdrive tromorrow.drive.gif