New stereo help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunshineLibby

Reaction score
I'm just going to apologize now, I will probably ask a lot of dumb questions. I'm trying to learn though.... so maybe that counts?

Anywho.. I was looking at replacing the factory cd player with this:
Kenwood KDC-BT318U CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

But as far as wiring harness and all I would need the option on the left here correct? (For steering wheel controls)
Kenwood KDC-BT318U CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Are there some cheaper options? I'm not looking for anything over the top, I'd just like slightly better sound and the ability to listen to my ipod. Spending $200 before I even get into speakers scares me a little.

ETA: Would this work for the steering controls?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Metra-ASW...face-Accs-Universal-auto-Programming/41082648

Last edited:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your second link is the same as the first...

Yes, the ASWC-1 is what I used when I put my AppRadio3 in. You end up not using most of the wires in the harness, it only splices in for power, ground, and signal. It then plugs into the back of the new head unit, and was a really easy install.

SunshineLibby

Reaction score
Your second link is the same as the first...

Yes, the ASWC-1 is what I used when I put my AppRadio3 in. You end up not using most of the wires in the harness, it only splices in for power, ground, and signal. It then plugs into the back of the new head unit, and was a really easy install.

Whoops, missed that, I thought it took me to a new page and it didn't. Anyway, thanks for the help! I'm all for saving $50 where I can.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoops, missed that, I thought it took me to a new page and it didn't. Anyway, thanks for the help! I'm all for saving $50 where I can.

Just make sure the head unit you buy has an input on the back for a wired remote! I would think that most do at this point, but it can't hurt to check. That particular unit you linked isn't as simple as just plugging the remote plug in, but it looks fairly straight forward.

Last edited:

SunshineLibby

Reaction score
Just make sure the head unit you buy has an input on the back for a wired remote! I would think that most do at this point, but it can't hurt to check. That particular unit you linked isn't as simple as just plugging the remote plug in, but it looks fairly straight forward.

If I get it and my husband can't figure it out I guess I can always suck it up and take it in to the sound shop lol I need to learn how to do all this stuff myself.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can do this....read up on adding a sound system to the Liberty at crutchfield.com....lots of good info there...they also have the harnesses and the Metra install kits to fit single-DIN head units....they even have 'no solder' connections for the wires if you are not too familiar with soldering wiring....don't pay some pimple-faced teenager to install it....adding a new sound system is one of the easier mods...