New Sound System coming....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan

Reaction score

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys with USB ports help me out.

I put a Sony HU in my vette with USB port. When i plug in USB devices, it *seemingly* sorts through the directories and files by modified date. It doesn't seem to do it alphabetically by folder/filename. This kills me as albums don't play in order. What's worse is i'm not sure date is the only thing used...as some of them don't seem to go by date either. One thing is for sure, it's not going by filename alphabetically, or by the ID3 tag song title/track number (since the songs don't play in alphabetical order).

I want to put a new HU in my jeep with USB port, but i don't wnat one that handles files like my Sony deck. How do yours' work?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll test it out and report back. Got a Kingston DataTraveller 4gig USB key, loading it up with music now.

-Blu

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here it is, all installed, buttoned up, and ready to rock. Gotta do the speakers yet. Figured out my aux in problem... I hooked up the wrong cable to the XM unit. Simple as that.. now it works nicely!

Here's what it looks like when playing from the iPod.
You must be registered for see images

And the cool clock

And here is my surface-mount USB connector. Install was simple. I hooked it up inside the center console - drilled a hole in roughly the center of the front of the console box, mounted it with the plastic nut. There is a short cord included for the ipod, and the usb-key can plug right into it as well.

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put my USB cord to the glove box.
That thing looks great, I LOVE the calendar screen

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man that deck is sweet. I would love a deck with a big display like htat. How doe sit look when you're browsing files/folders of music?

EDIT: Browsing reviews of other units with USB input, it looks like *most* decks sort files/folders by date/time rather than alphabetically (by file name or otherwise). This seems like such a simple thing, but what an oversight on MFR's part!

Last edited:

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like this one does by date/time too, tho I've not verified that in reality yet....

here's the tidbit from the owners manual

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just reread that manual thing, and i'm actually more confused than when I started.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
forget it, can't you just select folders? like navigate by folders.
My kenwood does that perfectly fine, with just one button

hit it [BUTTON] - browsing folders, you go left right to go to next / prev folder,
you go up and down to go into sub folder, etc.. su sub sub folder etc..

hit it again [BUTTON] - browsing songs, up/down 10 songs at a time, left right, next/prev song (all while listening to the song you are listening to... :D)

Oh, would I love to have a list on the screen? You BETCHA! but mine is only one line.. :( b

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can navigate by folders. It works similar to Album mode in ipod, except each album would be folder name (assuming you've put your files in named directories by album). Gives you a list of folders available, lets you navigate into them.

By the way, you saying you would like more text on your screen... the pictures dont do this HU justice when it comes to the display. It is bright, crystal clear, and so sharp. It's really something.

My list of gripes is very small:
* There is a large difference between audio levels switching sources (iPod, aux in/radio) -- iPod volume significantly louder than anything else.
* Cannot change to clock mode whilest listening to Aux In???
* Small enter button to the left of the wheel instead of huge button in the middle to select whatever.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
large difference in volume level?
generally in these advanced stuff, they each have different EQ levels. did you try checking those values, to see if one is left higher/other lower, like pre-amp, etc.. values if there is any

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked it out in manual.. theres an "MX Mode" which might make some difference... its Media Expander tho... will have to mess with it.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have EX mode. :D I have EX Bass which extends the bass output, makes my stock woofers sound like I got small subwoofers :D

ripper42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most of the alpine decks just show ten song ipod mode at as for
mx mode keep it on
* There is a large difference between audio levels switching sources (iPod, aux in/radio) -- iPod volume significantly louder than anything else.
radio is alwas going to be not as loud aux is going to give you the most clean sound
* Cannot change to clock mode whilest listening to Aux In???
that just alpine ever one has this
* Small enter button to the left of the wheel instead of huge button in the middle to select whatever. that just what alpine you will get a hang of how it works i have 3 alpine deck there the best i ever used

as for the eq alpine t correct you can tune you car with it i will not due much if you have Sound Imprint i will have a full eq in the deck

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after a bit of using this, I'm really very happy with it. I'm getting used to the buttons. The audio level between sources is a bit annoying, since I know it would be easy to remedy if they'd taken the time to do it. But, overall, I'd give this unit a "Highly Recommend" to anyone who might be considering it.

-Blu

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotten a couple questions about where I got the cable from -- I got it from L-Com.com. My experience with them was fantastic, they treated me like a major corporate account even tho I was ordering a single cable.

-Blu

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a sick head unit i have that in my jeep. Ipod integration is awesome.

I decided to not use the outer plate that came with the head unit and just fit it right in the mount it turned out nice heres some pic of mine sorry for the darkness and bad pic quality.

You were running through the cab of your truck when you took these? Jumping up and down and shouting "I rulez teh st3r3oz!"

djui5

Reaction score
Nice stereo BluPhant! What did you do with your old one?

cdh1125,
Nice studio :) I used to work in the business for a while.

Cloak

Reaction score
I'm deciding between the Alpine iDA-X001 and the Alpine CDA-9886 and where to buy either one from.

My biggest issue is that I have never installed one myself. Reading what crutchfield has to say on their site, do I need all the extra stuff they send along? Is it necessary to do a good/clean install? Going by what they say and other places don't, if I order it from elsewhere for cheaper that makes no mention, will I be hunting around locally for the right wires, etc?

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cdh1125,
Nice studio :) I used to work in the business for a while.

thanks
I'm deciding between the Alpine iDA-X001 and the Alpine CDA-9886 and where to buy either one from.

My biggest issue is that I have never installed one myself. Reading what crutchfield has to say on their site, do I need all the extra stuff they send along? Is it necessary to do a good/clean install? Going by what they say and other places don't, if I order it from elsewhere for cheaper that makes no mention, will I be hunting around locally for the right wires, etc?

You need the antenna adapter, and the dash bracket for sure. You could cut the connecter thats in the jeep and bypass the wiring harness But I wouldnt. You can buy an install kit online with the 3 things you need if you choose not to use crutchfield. If you go to best buy or a stereo store the install parts will be about $20 each.

I have a crutchfield referral code that'll save you $20 let me know if you want it.